Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lists, Lists, Lists



 There are lists running through my head.  I was already starting to feel slightly anxious about my "to do" list, but now it's getting even more real.  My due date is 8 weeks from now, but there is potential that she could be here in 6!  Not only that, but if my blood pressure doesn't get in check (which I'm believing it will!), then there is potential for bed rest.  We are reaching the end!!!  AGH! :)

First, is my list of books that I want to read.  I have been given a ridiculous amount of books.  I don't plan on reading them all, but there are some I'd like to get to.  I've also bought some books.  I have prioritized and realize that I really only need to read the breastfeeding and sleeping books before Olivia comes.  I started reading earlier on in the pregnancy, but I felt like I wasn't retaining the knowledge and that when she got here I'd have forgotten it all anyway.  Plus, everyone tells you how you should be reading for fun and going to the movies and sleeping--enjoying your time.  Well now I feel like I need to get on with the reading, but it still feels overwhelming to me.

Second, is my hospital bag.  I have been collecting information and making a list from very early on.  Any time someone posts a "hospital bag" question on the message boards I pay attention.  I still need to collect some things for it.  I wasn't planning on packing it until around week 35, but now I feel like I have to have to have things collected and ready to pack before hand.... just in case I am put on bed rest.  (My shopping is already limited because of my swelling feet.)  I plan on posting a list soon and all you veteran moms can tell me what I really need and what I don't.  There seems to be varying views out there.  Some people are minimalists and some pack everything but the kitchen sink.  I would like to be somewhere in the middle.  I tend to lean toward the side of being over prepared than under.

Third, is my "stock piling" list.  Someone asked on the message boards once "what types of things are you stock piling".  Most people said things like diapers or formula.  A couple people said they were stock piling household items.  I would have never thought of this, but it makes sense.  Not that I am going to have a baby and come out handicapped.  I know that I can run to the store or send Michael.  The idea was that in the first month (or longer) it is nice to not have to worry about running out of toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc.  I think I especially like this idea because we are in a new place.  It will all be up to Michael, and at this point he's only planning on taking off a week or so.  Sure, we'll have visitors, but they aren't from here.  They don't know the area.  It will just be easier to have things on hand.  So far we have plenty of toothpaste, deodorant, and hand soap. :)  We plan to go to Costco to stock up on things like kleenex, Clorox wipes, toilet paper, and paper towels.  Anything else we should stock up on?  We have paper plates too.  I'm considering using these at first so no one has to deal with dishes.

Fourth, is a list of things I will need for after the birth.  You know--all the unpleasant things like pads and stool softeners and witch hazel.  Oooh, fun!  This list also includes items like nursing bras and nursing tanks, lots of bottled water and easy snacks (for breastfeeding), and tylenol.  Missing anything?

Fifth, finish up any last minute nursery things and purchase any baby items still needed (not much).

Lastly, is a list of meals that can be frozen.  Since we are new to the area, I'm not exactly sure how many people will be showing up at my door with home cooked meals.  I know in Ohio people would do that, but I am not going to count on it here.  We've made friends, but it's all still so new.  I wouldn't expect anyone who has only known me for a few months to cook me a meal.  I thought of going to one of those places that you can make meals ahead of time (Dream Dinners, Super Suppers), but the only one in our area didn't thrill me.  There was still a lot of prep work that needed to be done at home at the time of cooking the meal.  I want to be able to pull something out of the freezer and heat it up.  I have off a week at the end of the month, so I plan to do a lot of cooking and freezing then.  Anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share?  I have a few in mind.  I'd like to get a fair amount of meals done and with some variety too.

I love lists.  I enjoy checking things off my list.  For whatever reason, it feels different this time.  I have these lists.  I keep reviewing my lists.  I look at them often.  Yet nothing is getting checked off.  I'm not usually the procrastinating type.  Hopefully I'll be able to tackle most of this on the week and a half that I am off from work.  Did you all go through the same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment