Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving Recap and Christmas Craft

Can you believe Thanksgiving is over?  I feel like it crept right up on me and passed me before I could even think about what was happening.  I have a feeling Christmas is going to do the same thing.  I think part of it is the weather.  As much as people don't want to hear this... I think it needs to get colder and snow!

Well, anyway.  I had a great Thanksgiving.  Michael and I drove back to Ft. Wayne, Indiana to be with family.  Last year we were only able to go for the day because of Michael's work schedule.  This year we were able to make it a little longer of a trip.  It was nice because we were able to spend time with my cousins that we sometimes don't have time to do.

Here's the recap:
  • We got in Wednesday night and hung out with my grandma for a few hours.
  • Thanksgiving lunch consisted of about 25-30 people and was very low key and yummy
  • This year, all the women did some sort of craft while the men watched football.  You know me.  I love crafting.  More on my craft in a bit...
  • After crafting we played some games.  I love playing games!
  • When the crowd thinned out and leftovers were eaten, we all cozied up with a hot chocolate and watched our traditional Miracle on 34th Street (the new one)
  • Friday morning we were able to sleep in.  Ahhhhhh.... one of my most favorite things.
  • We went to lunch with two of my cousins.  One of which had a baby five weeks ago and the other who just delivered twins last week.  We actually "closed" the restaurant down. (at 2 in the afternoon)
  • My cousin Erica and I were able to get in a little shopping while my husband and brother caught a movie.  The crazy crowds were almost over and there was nothing we were dying to get, so it was a rather relaxing experience.  We got some good buys at Old Navy.
  • Friday night was family night at my aunt and uncles.  We had homemade pizza, lots of good fellowship, and more games.
  • Saturday was another morning of sleeping in, no schedule to be had, and the quick drive home.
For my craft, I chose to use the cardboard letters from Jo Ann's and spell out the word NOEL.  I'm pretty sure most of the people there didn't "get" my craft, but I love it.  I know you guys in bloggy world will love it too!  Here's a glimpse of it drying on the table.  (I had to come up with a craft for my un-crafty sister.  That's the "Joy" sign at the top of the picture.)


(not the best picture of it)

I chose four pieces of Christmas scrapbook paper that matched and traced the letters on.  I applied them to the letters with Mod Podge.  Some people think I should have covered the sides of the letters with paper or paint.  I liked that they still had the "rustic" sort of look to them.  The paper had that sort of rustic look too, so it all fit.

After I had the papers attached, I used sand paper and sanded down the edges.  This got rid of any overlap, but also left a nice white edge to "distress".  I used regular brown ink for the distressing because the distressing ink I bought was too light.  I then covered the letters with a layer of Mod Podge to seal it.

Next, I embellished the letters with buttons, ribbons, flowers, glitter paint and jewels.  I think they turned out fabulous. 

I wasn't sure where I was going to put this project, I just knew I wanted to do it.  I had thought I was going to put it on the entertainment center, but it just didn't look right with everything else on there.  I put them on the stairs and love how it looks.

Here's a closer look...


the distressing...
 



the jewels...




it's hard to see, but I added glitter to the word Noel

 
 more jewels...
 
 and more glitter...


 
 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I love 'em! I also love the embellishments you added to them. I could just see this on a bookcase or shelf ~ a nice size decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letters are darling...I am thinking of spelling Peace out like that...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love the jewels you added to them.

    ReplyDelete