Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let's keep it real...

If you know me, then you know I'm all about keeping it real.  So that's what I'm going to do....

I've already told you how much I love organization.  I've already told you how my pastor's wife raved about my closet.  It's true.  My house is pretty organized.  My classroom was ridiculously organized.  However.

However.

There's one room in my house that has issues.  We are pretty short on storage around here.  We have a small laundry/storage/utility room.  We both love organization so it always starts out good.  Unfortunately, every six months we have to revisit the room and do a total revamp. It's so annoying.  Like I said, we start out good.   But there is just not enough space to keep it that way.  When I need art supplies, I pull them out and then have trouble getting it back to the right place.  We collect more things.  We rearrange things around the house and then other things need to be stored.  It's crazy.  I think we now might have it under control.

 But before I can show you the "new and improved" storage room, I am going to "keep it real" and show you how bad it got.

BEFORE:


Ok, so you see that huge photo collage looking thing?  I picked it up at a thrift/antique sale for $10.  I have grand plans for it--in my head!--but have no space to do the re-do.


 
I actually use most of the stuff on this shelf often, but there isn't room in our kitchen for it.  Oh, see that tray??  It's another project yet to be worked on.



Well, here's a little "leftover" organization from the last time we got it in order.  Also, a shovel, an old vacuum, an old lamp and some folding chairs and table.



 Oh dear--here's under our stairs.  All sorts of junk.  Plus, an exercise ball that I should be using.  Yeah.


 
Oh yes, we have an exersaucer.  No.  We don't have a child.  No.  I'm not pregnant.  We just collect random kids stuff for future children.  This picture is looking down.  You couldn't even see the floor.  Out. of. control!



 How about some Hooked on Phonics for that kid we don't have yet?

 UGH!  So we emptied the entire room--if you can call it a room--and got to work.  One of the first things we did is hang a shelf that we were storing.  I don't know why we didn't think of this earlier.
 
Thanks love!

 AFTER:

 
We couldn't even open the door before.  The coat tree was behind it.  Remember how I put those hooks up?  Well, we have too many coats so I had to still use the coat tree.  It got relocated and works much better.






I didn't really take any "before" pictures of this area.  The shelf was a mess and the dryer was stacked with children's books.  Now the shelf is orderly.  The tub on the dryer is for our fall decorations.  Once I take them down, it will be returned to my mother in laws basement.



 The folding chairs and table got relocated to the small area next to the furnace.  The stuff that was there either got thrown away or taken to my mother in laws.  Thank goodness for her basement!  We took a whole car load over.  Not to mention that my entire classroom is in totes in her basement.


 
You know you love it!:)

 
 This is the area behind the stairs.  Before you couldn't get to anything.  Now it's easily accessable.


 
This is the tools, cleaning supply, and outdoor stuff shelf.


 
 There's that shelf we hung.  The vase with the brown stuff will go back to it's place after fall decorations are down.


 
 Oops--I forgot my folder with my labels in it.  Even so you can see how great it is.


 

 

 
 The black bags are my scrapbook/craft stuff.  Someone gave me them.  They are nice, but I would really like a craft room instead.


 
Here's another view of under the stairs.


 
 If you move the step ladder away, it looks like this.


 
If you roll that white wire cart away, this is what you see.

Pure beauty!

2 comments:

  1. It is pure beauty! I love it! :)
    Now that we'll actually have a downstairs in our new place, I can only hope to be so orangized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can come do my basement! ;-)

    Ang

    ReplyDelete