Thursday, November 19, 2009

Oh the places we will go...

Alright, well I told you that I'd share some fun places for you to take your kids.  Some of the ideas I have are local, and some are going to be able to be used by all.

Today my suggestion is to go to the zoo.  Ok, I know you are probably saying, "duh Bethany, what parent doesn't know to go to the zoo.  Kind of obvious".  Yes.  You are right.  But here is my tip that you may not know.  Go when it's cooler outside.  A lot of people hit up the zoo in the summer.  A) Because kids are out of school and sometimes moms or dads take time off then.  B) it's a "nice" day to be out. C) there are a lot of days in the summer and the kids need something to do OR D) That seems like the obvious time to go.  I'm telling you that you should go in the spring or fall.  I prefer the fall.  It's the best. 

Here's why:  It's comfortable outside.  (i.e. no ones skin is sweating right off)  It's pretty with all the fall leaves.  There are hardly any crowds because people don't think of going.  But best of all--the animals like it best then too.  The animals are more active and out when the weather is cooler.  Which, obviously, makes a trip to the zoo so much more enjoyable.

Little Man and I went just last week.  Here is some of what we saw...


Lots of elephants--Little Man's favorite!  These are the African elephants.
(Yes, his hair is that long.  No, there is nothing you can say to me about it that I haven't already heard.)



On the other side of the building were the Asian elephants.  Look at the little baby.  He's actually almost a year old, but he's still so darn cute.  Plus, we got to hear the elephants make noises I've never heard before!



 
 

Look how close the tiger was..... LOVE IT!

 

We heard the Lion roar TWICE!


The bears were out and playful as well.  (Usually they are sleeping!)

 

Little Man loved the komodo dragon.  (yuck!)
It liked Little Man too! :)



It was the perfect zoo day.  Next time you have a good fall day with nothing to do... hit up your local zoo!

1 comment:

  1. I think you might have picked this little tidbit up from me. The polar bear is especially more active, he was out swimming and having a great time, very fun to watch. In the summer, he just laid around in whatever bit of shade was provided. I used to pack and peanut butter and jelly and put Chris in the little red wagon and off we went! picked up Nick when school was out. Poor Nick.
    Kathi Bobb

    ReplyDelete