Monday, November 2, 2009

Silhouette

I've been following a handful of blogs for about two years now.  I called them my "mommy blogs" because most of them were just that--moms who blog about projects they do with their kids.

Sometime last fall I saw that someone posted a link to a person that made silhouettes for you.  While that's great for the non-crafty person, I thought to myself "I can do that!".  I had already put together my bosses Christmas gift, but filed it away in my head for this years gift.  That's right.  I've known what I was going to do for my bosses Christmas gift this year for over a year.  Frankly, I think it turned out fab-u-lous!

I didn't take pictures of the process because I am not showing Little Man's face, but here is are the steps.

First, I took a profile picture of Little Man.  I actually took 2 just to make sure.

Next, I went to Meijer and printed them out.  I printed them in black and white.  I also adjusted the contrast and brightness of the pictures to make it easier to see the outline of his figure.

Originally I printed them out as 5 by 7's.  However, after I got them printed I immediately realized I was going to need them as an 8 by 10.  One good thing is that after I printed them out as 5 by 7's I was able to choose which picture would work best.  Then I only had to print one 8 x 10.  All 3 pictures printed were about $4.  Not bad.

I went on a hunt for the perfect frame and the perfect scrapbook paper.  I know silhouettes are usually done with a black piece of paper, but I wanted it to match the decor of the house.  I chose a cream colored frame from Michael's (which just happened to be on sale!).  I also bought 2 pieces of brown heavy duty scrapbook paper that had a little texture and sheen to it, and a cream colored piece that had browns, blues, and greens in it.



I carefully cut out Little Man's head from the picture.  I traced this onto the brown paper and then cut that out again.

I also cut down the scrapbook paper to have a layered look.  I also wanted the colors to contrast and stand out from the frame.  I used spray adhesive and glued all the papers together.  I stuck it in the frame and it was good to go.  The whole thing took me about 10 minutes, cost me about $20 and looks like a million bucks.





What do you think?


13 comments:

  1. Love it, especially the papers your chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific! I think the white is a fresh twist on the traditional silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI there--I'm visiting from Kimbas..this is such a great project! I am having a blog party for Christmas and this week it is about Homemade gifts--would love you to link up. There's a giveaway also!

    Heres the link: http://redswriting.blogspot.com/2009/11/twoc-homemade-gifts.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! I think that the paper background makes the project :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous blog. Love the color combination. I think this is really neat and I love the use of a print behind the silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Great job at making it sound so easy too! Now I'll have to try another project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my daughters loves silhouettes and she is gonna love learning your technique for making them. Thank you for sharing this!
    Yours are really pretty!

    Christmas Blessings,
    Jayne at mysongwithin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job. I lovethe paper you chose too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is fantastic - great idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the instructions - I have been wanting to do this with my kids. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a unique, very personal gift. Great for grandparents. I love the paper you chose.

    ReplyDelete