Monday, November 23, 2009

Bubble Up Enchilada

About a year ago I signed up to do Weight Watchers online.  It went alright until the holidays hit (last year).  It was all downhill from there.  But while I was a part of the online group, I gathered many recipes to help me.  Some I made and some I just stashed away.  Cuz that's what I do.  Hoard recipes.  Anyway... I came across a recipe called Bubble Up Pizza that everyone was raving about.  I made it and thought it was alright.  Then I started seeing many variations of this meal.  One of those variations is the Bubble Up Enchilada.  I hoarded sent myself an email with the recipe, but that's as far as I got.  Recently I came across a site that had posted the Bubble Up Enchilada recipe again.  I figured it was time to give it a try.

So here you go...

You will need:
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
1 can reduced fat refrigerator BISCUITS
(notice mine are cresent rolls--more on that in a bit)
1 1/4 cups Shredded Weight Watchers Mexican Cheese

NOTES: Ok, so I went to the store and I needed both reduced fat biscuits AND reduced fat crescent rolls.  Unfortunately, the store I went to do not have the reduced fat biscuits.  I figured I'd just pick up the biscuits at another store, another time.  Later in the week I went to make this recipe and didn't even think about the fact that I needed the biscuits.  I started taking pictures...crescent rolls and all.  It wasn't until I was half way through that I realized I had the wrong thing.  Oh well.  That's life right?  Some things don't turn out.  Some things turn out better.  Some things people quickly hide under the rug for no one to see.  Well, you know me.  I'm a keep it real kind of girl.  So here I am... posting on my blog for all the world to see... that I messed up the recipe.  It turned out OK though. :)
Also, I just used reduced fat Sargento cheese instead of WW cheese.  I also added onions.  You can add or take away whatever you want.

The steps:

Preheat the oven to 350*.
Brown the ground beef (drain if needed).


Mix in a can of enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, and can of black olives.  (Plus onions if you choose)


Cut the biscuits into fourths and stir them into the meat mixture.
Here's where I noticed I had a problem.  Because crescent rolls don't "cut into fourths", I just cut them and then rolled them up a little to resemble the size of a biscuit fourth.  You do what you gotta do! :)


They will start to get a little gooey, so don't keep them in there that long.  Just long enough to be covered by the sauce.


Then you just dump it all in a greased casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes.


Take the casserole out of the oven and sprinkle with the cheese.  Obviously if you are not concerned about the calories or "points" you could use the entire 2 cup bag of cheese instead of 1 1/4 cups.
Bake an additional 10 minutes to let the cheese melt.
Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.


It is 8 servings at 6 points a serving.  However, men (or women not so concerned about weight) could eat at least 2 pieces as one serving.  It reheats well and I've even heard it freezes well.

I didn't think it tasted too far off from the Bubble Up Pizza.  I also didn't think it tasted too much like an "enchilada".  I don't know if tomato sauce was used instead of more enchilada sauce to help keep the points low or what.  I may consider putting more enchilada sauce in next time.  Either way, it was still good.  I served it with a salad and sugar free jello.  The true test is whether or not Michael liked it, and he asked for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment