Friday, November 6, 2009

A little dental lesson



How are your teeth?  You should go brush them.  NOW!  I'm just trying to help you avoid the "crown debacle" that I have just gone through.  Go.  Now.  Then come back and keep reading....

I've never had braces, but I think ever tooth that can have a cavity has had a cavity.  It's so annoying.  I've heard and read multiple times that someone can just be genetically prone to have more cavities.  (raising hand high in the air and bouncing around) THAT'S ME!  THAT'S ME!  Ugh.  I've spent so much money on my darn teeth it's ridiculous.

Recently I had to have a crown done.  I had a large molar that had a filling already.  Then I got a cavity under the filling.  That's right.  A cavity UNDER the filling.  I didn't even know that could happen.  My dentist said that the filling was already so big that it wouldn't be worth trying to remove it and fill it again.  I needed a crown.  This is my first crown.  I'm hoping and praying it will be my last, but I'm being realistic.  I'm sure I'll be going through this process again soon.

I went in on my day off to have the preliminary work done.  I was there for two and a half hours!  Needless to say, I wasn't too pleased.  I had a temporary crown put in that I was suppose to wear for two weeks.  Five hours later the darn thing fell out.  I had to go back the next day and have it put back on.  The very next night it half fell off and I just shoved it back on.  Having it on wasn't fun though.  It left a filmy plasticy taste in my mouth.  My mouth always felt dry, and it didn't feel good.

A week later the darn thing fell off AGAIN.  At that point I said screw it.  I had already given three hours of my time off to the dentist.  If it fell off that many times in one week, it probably wasn't going to stay on the next week either.  So I went around without it.  My tooth was obviously sensitive to cold and some hot, but I got use to it.

Well, I went in this week to get the permanent crown put on.  Here's the lesson in all of this for you.  Apparently, if your temporary crown falls off, you really need to go back in and have it put back on.  Your gums grow.  Yeah, so my gums had grown over the little area that he had shaved down.  Also, the permanent crown was fitted for that exact spot.  It wasn't the most pleasant feeling having him push tender and extremely sensitive gums back into place.  The permanent crown is now in and doing alright... for now.  I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. That does not sound fun at all!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Your blog is precious!

    I suddenly have the urge to brush and floss my teeth...hhmm...

    ReplyDelete