Thursday, August 28, 2014

House Tour--Family Room

I've mentioned that we are slowly but surely getting our house decorated.  I shared the kitchen already, so I thought I'd share our family room for those interested.
Our house is a split level.  You walk in on the main floor (living/kitchen/dining room), and then you can go up to the bedrooms or down to the family room.  This is looking down into the family room.

This room is definitely the most used in our house and leans more towards function than beauty.

That door is to the half bath

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but when we left Texas we sold a lot of our furniture to save on moving costs.  We didn't plan on moving into a house in December.  As it turns out, my friend Laurie's bosses were getting new couches and were getting rid of their (three year old custom made) couches.  They let us have them for free.  Blue is not likely a color I would ever pick out for a couch, but free is free.

So I tried to work around it and we went with a turquoise and yellow color scheme.
(Don't mind the slide.  It will eventually go outside!)

Starting from left to right--Door number one is the fourth bedroom.  We currently use it for our guest room/office and the closet is used for all of my educational games/kid craft supplies, etc.  Door number two is our laundry room.  It is unfinished, but pretty good sized.  Door number 3 is the bathroom.  Door number four opens to a set of about 6 stairs and they go down into our unfinished basement, which is just a huge storage area for us right now.

My sort of Pinterest inspired gallery wall.  Some of the items are new, some are old, and some we made. :)

I know it sort of looks cluttered in places, but that is just life.  We use Olivia's little chair and that baby swing most days.  We never use the fireplace.  And it is our toy room, so the shelves filled with books and toys are inevitable.


The mantle was another one of those things where I bought a few things and the revamped items that I had and just kind of threw it all up there.  For now it works.


So there you have it.  It works.  It may not be the most elegant or orderly, but it is cozy and functional.  With two small children, that is exactly what we need!

No comments:

Post a Comment