Friday, October 4, 2013

This and That

Some of these things have been swirling around in my head for weeks.  I was going to do a random "observations" post and started collecting ideas. Then I decided it would be a "five for Friday" post and was waiting for a Friday to post it all.  Well, my list started growing and now it's more than 5, so I'm back to my random list.  I know you all wanted to know the thought process of how I got here. :)

1. Pinterest
Over the last month or two I have been randomly strolling through Pinterest (I don't visit it nearly as often as some do.  Maybe once a week?) and have seen posts from MY blog!!!  I had 2 thoughts.  First--wow, how cool.  Little old me that adds random commas in my writing has people pinning my stuff. :)  My second thought was--man, I am SO glad I always blocked Little Man's face out in the pictures.  The two posts I saw were both from crafts I did with him.  I'm glad I was wise enough to protect his privacy.  Anyway, I got to wondering how many others were out there, so I did a little search.  It came up with more than 12 pinned posts and I know there are more, because one of the ones I originally saw didn't even show up.

2. Weather
I cannot figure out how to dress for the weather here.  I hear that it's going to be in the 60's and I think pants.  No. This is the WRONG answer.  I do know that the humidity is higher here, but I just can't get it down.  The other thing is, neither I nor Olivia have good layering options at the moment.  (Although I finally did buy a maternity sweater that buttons.)  One day I thought it was going to be cooler.  I dressed her and I both in pants and a light shirt.  We melted.  So the next day the temp was suppose to be the exact same.  I put us both in dresses.  We froze.  I just can't get it right.

3. Driving
(source)

When I'm driving around like a lost idiot that doesn't know where she is going (which has happened on more than one occasion), I am grateful that I still have a Texas license plate.  I just pretend that I am from out of town and didn't know that my lane was ending. ha ha!  One of these days I'll figure things out, but some areas I drive in are completely new to me and others have changed since I've been gone.  I cannot be blamed for this.  God bless Texas. :)

4. Anatomy Scan
I naively thought that everyone knew what an anatomy scan was.  I have no idea when these became a "thing", but it was long before I had Olivia.  I have mentioned to numerous people that I got my anatomy scan and they look at me like I have 3 heads.  One lady actually asked me what that was.  For those who don't know--everyone has one done around 20 weeks.  No.  It's not to find out the sex of the baby.  They check every bone, organ and important part on the baby that they can. It's to look for abnormalities and to make sure everything is going as it should be.  It is not just a normal ultra sound.

5. Pampered Chef
(source)
One of the girls from my old life group hosted a Pampered Chef party last week.  I went and had a blast.  I told Michael that at this point, I am going to go to everything I am invited to! :)  I need friends.  I need out of the house.  I need breaks. If I decline the offers now, they will eventually stop coming. :)  But I actually wanted to go anyway.  I convinced my friend Laurie to come and there was another girl from our old life group there.  We laughed and laughed and it was a ton of fun.  I ended up buying what I went with in my mind to buy--the apple peeler/slicer.  I have seriously wanted one for over 10 years now.  I figured that now that I am in Ohio and apple picking will be our yearly family tradition, this will surely come in handy!

6. MOPS
I strongly dislike my MOPS group here.  There are many, many reason for this.  I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be like what I had.  I just had no idea that it was going to be that bad.  I have taken some of my childcare issued to those in charge and they seem to be listening, but there is so much more that I don't feel like I can bring up.  This group is all a lot of them know, so they don't know what they are missing.  Then I just sound like the brat that keeps saying, "Well in my other group..."  so I don't say anything at all.  I've already paid for and committed to this year, so I think I'm going to stick it out. It's just hard.  The one saving grace is that Olivia has fun and doesn't mind going at all.  If she cried when I dropped her off, then that would probably be a deal breaker for me at this point.  This is sad to me, because some of the best friends I made in Texas came from my MOPS group.  I am not anticipating that happening here.......

7. Halloween Costume
I am wanting to get Olivia's halloween costume purchased. I know from years of working with Little Man and also with lasts years experience, that we will use the costume multiple times in the next month.  I think LM wore his at least 4 times a year for different events that we went to.  The problem is--I can't come up with one I love.  Michael is voting for a super hero (of course!).  I want it to be something cute and sweet and keep her my innocent little baby forever. :) If she was old enough to voice her opinion, she'd probably vote for something from Finding Nemo.  I just can't find anything nearly as cute as last year. That giraffe costume takes the cake for sure!

8. Journey
When I chose "journey" as my word for the year--I had NO IDEA what kind of journey I would be on.  I haven't really talked much about it in the last few months.  A few of the things on my list are a work in progress.  A few of them have fallen to the side.  Let's face it. I'm not losing any weight this year. :)  And a few will probably take longer than a year to "work out".  One thing that I can check off the list is "blog more".  I have officially blogged more already this year than I did all of last year put together.  WIN!

9. Potty Training

(source)
How is potty training going?  This is the number one question I have gotten in the last couple of months.  The answer is that it is not.  Originally I thought that maybe Olivia would be an early potty trainer based on how she was surpassing other milestones.  We very casually tried around 2 and I could tell that she was not ready or interested.  So I gave it up.  Then I found out we were moving and I decided that there was no way I was driving 18 hours in the car with a newly potty trained toddler.  So I didn't even try.  Now we are here and based on her bathroom habits and behavior, I still don't think she is ready.  I am not interested in pushing her to do it just for the sake of saying she did it at such and such age. Plus, I wouldn't be able to fully potty train her.  She'd still have to wear diapers at night, because she can get out of her bed but she can't get back in.  She also has no desire or even know how to dress or undress herself.  That's sort of important when you need to pull down your pants to go.  She has always been "behind" on the physical aspects of her growth.  This doesn't concern me. It's just fact and it relates to the potty training.  Personally, I would like her to be out of diapers by the time Logan is born.  If for nothing else, the cost.  But if she's not ready at that point, then I will wait.  I am not in the wait forever camp though.  I potty trained Little Man the week before his third birthday and that was ALL because of me.  His parents didn't care at all.  If Olivia isn't potty trained by 3, that will definitely be the time that I get more serious about it.  But for now, I think it would just be a headache for all involved!  Also, I read this article and found it very interesting.  From personal experience as a teacher and nanny, I can see how what the writer is saying is true. It also makes me feel a little better about my decision to wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment