Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day to Day Centerpiece

Back in October I got the brilliant idea to come up with a centerpiece for our counter that divides the kitchen from the living room.  You may remember it.  It looked something like this...

I even thought ahead and knew that it could be turned in to a creative Christmas centerpiece as well.
 

Unfortunately, that's all the further I thought ahead.  I don't decorate for any other holiday or season, so I needed a centerpiece that was more "day to day" than a theme.  I'll keep it real--the vases sat empty for about a month until I got my act together.  I had some ideas, but was a little hesitant about how it would all pull together.  In the end, I went with my original thought and I think it turned out alright.

 
 
I went back to the original taupe colored candles from the fall centerpiece.
I used coffee beans in each vase to give it a little texture.
Then I used these fun little decorative balls.
The reason why it took me so long is that I was considering making some of the decorative balls myself... but in the end I just bought a box for $10.
 
 
 

part of the back view...

I chose green on purpose.
If you haven't noticed from the pictures here and there, my room is very red.
I wanted a balance.
Plus, I have other greens thrown in around the two rooms.

Candles and stripes in the place mats

A clay vase type thing

On top of my cabinet I have this planter.  
In it is our monogrammed cake topper (that I blinged out MYSELF might I add!!:)

I also have some decorative green apples up there.
 

And another planter on the hutch...

When I originally came up with the idea of coffee beans and decorative balls, I was afraid it was going to be a little too "earthy" for the glammed up mirror frame.  In the end, I don't think you even notice the mirror frame.  It works, and both Michael and I like it.  Good thing-because it won't be changed for a while! :)

3 comments:

  1. Very cute - I've been thinking about getting out my mirror now that we're a little more settled, but haven't quite figured out something for all year also.. any other cute ideas for me?! :)
    did you see hip2save today - cheap cookbooks, since i know how much you love them!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH---I CANNOT buy any more cookbooks!! It's out of control. Seriously. :)

    Ok, so you could totally copy mine. No one would know since you are in SD! :) But if you don't want to do that, you could use those colored marble type things from the craft store. I don't know, I guess it depends on what kind of look you are going for. You could do sand and seashells. It seems to be popular right about now. I'm not really in to the seashell look, but if you are then it works! Buttons might be cute? Candy!! If you can keep your husband and kids out of it. I've also seen wine corks used for decorations. You can actually buy them in bulk if you don't drink that much wine. Then you could use fake grapes or something and stick with the theme. JoAnn's has really pretty colored sand and pearl looking things that would be cute together. I guess it's all a matter of taste (and what you can FIND in SD!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really awesome Biff! I love the green--I love that color and I have the same all over my house too!

    ReplyDelete