Sunday, September 20, 2009

Centerpiece

It's time for fall decorations! I love fall. I also love to follow some decorating blogs. While perusing my favorite blogs, I saw a centerpiece for a dining room table that I really liked. Unfortunately, I don't have a dining room table. So I decided I wanted to do something similar on our bar. Hopefully someone will buy our condo soon, and then I can place my lovely arrangement on a dining room table. (Anyone want a condo?... anyone?.... anyone?)

So I set out yesterday with my "adopted mom" to find the things I will need. This turned into a seven hour trip, and most of the time I wasn't convinced I was going to find what I needed. I must say though, that after getting it home and putting all the pieces together, it turned out BETTER than the one I saw on my favorite blog. I love it! Michael loves it! (I love that Michael loves it! :)

The original centerpiece I saw started out with one of those $8 full length mirrors that they sell at Walmart or Target. The blogger took off the cheap frame and added crown molding. I knew I wasn't going to do this. I wasn't sure I could find a cheap mirror that I liked. I looked at TONS of different options to use..... but after a few stores, we ended up at Old Time Pottery. I'm not sure if you have one where you live, but if you do, you must go. I found this fabulous mirror for $14.99!




















(Don't mind the fingerprints!) Isn't it fabulous? My plan was to find an ugly but cheap mirror and just paint the frame. However, I struck gold. The mirror was the perfect size, the perfect price, AND it had a good frame. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it's an antique looking silver.

















Then, my wonderful husband helped me take off all the staples and hooks off the back so it would lay flat on the bar.


















I found these fabulous candle holders at Jo Ann's. I had searched all day for the perfect candle holders. I was having trouble finding exactly what I was looking for. Our last stop was Jo Ann's and the bonus was that these were on sale!


















There are nine hurricanes. I very large one, 2 large, 2 medium, and 4 small. You get the same view whether you are looking at it from the living room or from the kitchen. I love that!


Next, I added these fabulous fall beads (that were on sale at Michael's).
















I love it already, but I'm not done yet!
I added two more little details that just made the whole thing SO CUTE!
First, I added a few small pinecones. Then, my favorite part. Baby boo pumpkins. I am in love with them. L.O.V.E. I took little man apple picking on Friday and picked up a few pumpkins. I knew these little guys would look gorgous in my fall decorations. They didn't fail me!




















Do you love them too? :)

So here are the final results...........































(Note: In case you don't know how blogger works, if you click on the photo, it will blow up to a larger size. This will let you view the details better!)



Here's another white (ghost) pumpkin in use. If you didn't know it yet, let me tell you now... they are all the rage this season. Make sure to pick yourself one up!

9 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. I would love to see a picture looking from other directions too.
    Great fun!
    Kathi B

    ReplyDelete
  2. um... I have a coffee table where this would look perfect... any chance of hiring you out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! :) I wish I were that creative!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.. thanks guys! :)
    Laurie--I'm always for hire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking - this could make a very cute Christmas decoration as well..change to red candles and add ornaments and things instead of pumpkins and pinecones? :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am planning on using it year round. It will look especially fabulous at Christmas time! I'm already excited to find cute things to use as decorations. I'm not sure if I'll change out the candles or not. I had a hard time finding candles with four different tiered lengths. Plus, they smell yummy. They are some kind of pear. Red would look good though. Especially since my kitchen and living room are red. Are you going to make one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking it would be really fun to make one - if I can find a cute mirror like you did that would work, b/c I agree - I would never go to the trouble to put crown molding...I wouldn't even know how to! Unless you might like to pick me up one like yours and send it home with my parents - they'll give you the $$ for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, I'll pick you up a mirror tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! You're the best :)

    ReplyDelete