Friday, February 12, 2010

Smashed Cauliflower

Did you know that two thirds of your meals should be fruits and veggies?  I try to make sure that our dinners are well rounded.  It gets sort of hard because Michael is not a veggie kind of person.  I try to change it up every once in a while.  The other night I made smashed cauliflower.  It's suppose to resemble mashed potatoes.

First, you take a a head of cauliflower or 16 oz of frozen cauliflower and boil it until it's soft.
 

After they are soft, drain them just as you would potatoes.
Add in some butter and milk (just like mashed potatoes--sound familiar?)


You can mix in lots of things--cheese, sour cream, bacon... the options are limitless.
I just put in a little pepper and some garlic powder.
I added a little too much milk, but I think they still turned out ok.
You can mash them as creamy or as lumpy as you'd like.

Here's our dinner.
 
The chicken was pretty yummy too.  It's a super easy recipe.
You need one pound of chicken (4 pieces, only I used tenders this time).
Mix one packet of Good Seasons Garlic and Herb salad dressing with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
Coat chicken and put in dish, cook at 350 or 30 minutes.  Yum!

2 comments:

  1. did it taste good? I thought about trying it, but I'm not a fan of cooked cauliflower, does it taste "cauliflowery" or a bit like mashed potates?

    I love that chicken recipe (in the binder you gave me). I cook that one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think they still taste like cauliflower, but maybe not as strong??? I don't know if I'm a good judge since I don't mind cauliflower. The second night I put parmesan cheese in them. I've made them twice now and Michael has HATED them both times... You could spice them up or put some mix ins that you like. Cauliflower is "free" calories.

    ReplyDelete