Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Suncatchers

It's time for some Valentine's Day crafts.  We made this suncatcher last year.  It's a little faded because it was hanging on the window for months.  First, I cut two identical heart frames out of red construction paper.  I placed one on contact paper and had Little Man put tissue paper in the heart.  Obviously, Valentine's colors would have looked nicer, but I didn't have any on hand.  Then I placed the other heart on top and more contact paper.  (Don't mind my fingers.  K wrote Little Man's name and the date, so I was covering it up.)
 

Here's this year's suncatcher.  We melted crayons!

First, I shredded crayons with a pencil sharpener.  This was a pain in the butt.
Plus, all the shavingss were sticking to everything.  I thought to myself that I would never do this again.
I was also pretty sure Little Man was going to hate it because of the mess.
 

 Then, I had Little Man sprinkle the shavings all over a piece of wax paper.

I was wrong--he loved it!  He thought it was so cool.
 

He didn't even mind them sticking to his fingers.  He thought it felt neat.
 

He spread the shavings all over the wax paper.
 
Notice there are even shavings on the bottom of the plate.

Next, I placed a kitchen towel on the counter.  Then I put some paper towels on top of that. 
I looked for an old towel, but couldn't find one.  I didn't want to ruin one!
Then I placed the wax paper with shavings on top of that.  Then another layer of wax paper.
 

Then I put paper towels on top of that in order to protect the iron.
 

 We used a hot iron and ironed all over the paper towel in order to melt the wax.
YES, I let Little Man use an iron.  He is so meticulous about things that I knew it wouldn't be a problem.
I explained to him ahead of time what not to touch and how to use it.
He did a GREAT job!  Plus, he thought it was the coolest thing ever! :)
 

Here's what our meltings looked like after we were done.
 

 Then I cut it into a heart and hung it on the back door.
(Don't mind the FOOT of snow or the shovel)
 

Beautiful!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment