Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Valentine's Day wreath

Do you decorate for Valentine's Day?  I never have.  I've never decorated my house for anything besides fall and Christmas.  I think you have to be very careful when decorating for Valentine's Day and Easter.  There is a fine line between cheesy and cute.  All that to say, that I've seen a ton of cute ideas in blog land this year.  I'd love to do some of the cute ideas I've found, but it's just not in the budget this year.

One thing I decided to do was a wreath.  At Christmas, I put a 3M hook on our door.  The hanger type of hooks were scratching up our door and I wanted something that wasn't going to sway in the wind.  So once I took the Christmas wreath off, I had a hook and nothing to hang on it.  Off to JoAnn's I went.

I had no idea what I was going to do.  I just knew I wanted it to be relatively cheap, sort of simple looking and easy to do.  I walked the store looking for inspiration and this is what I came home with.

Almost everything was on sale.  I had no idea those grapevine wreaths were so cheap. 
I got the 18 inch one and it was only $3.99 (regular price).
The ribbon was $1.19
The two heart picks were $1.19 each
The hanging heart was $1.79
The bag of hearts (7) were $1.29 (regular price)
The flowers were $2.99
and the "welcome" was $1.99 (regular price)
My total with tax was $16.68

First, I painted the sign and the hearts with cream paint I already had.

Then I plucked off all the flowers from the stem

I tied on the hanging heart

And twisted the ribbon around

Then I just stuck the picks in, hot glued some of the flowers on and added the Welcome sign and hearts

As an after thought I added a quick detail to the hearts

Here it is hanging on my front door
Not too fru fru (in my opinion)
Ok, so I didn't take into consideration the little door knocker when I did the hanging heart...
Oh well.


1 comment:

  1. super cute!!! looks good w/ the door, matched up the reds nicely!

    ReplyDelete