Friday, March 19, 2010

Goals, Goals, Goals


Do you remember about two months ago when I talked about setting goals?  I mentioned how I have goals I set for Little Man every six months and encouraged you to do so with your children as well.  Have you done so yet?  How's it coming?  I'm sure there are some of you thinking "I don't have a preschooler at home, so I don't need to do that".  WRONG!  If you have children living at home under the age of 18 then you can still do this.  Kids don't stop needing parent instruction when they are old enough to go to school full time.  Does your teenager know all they can about money and finances?  What about your pre-teen?  Do they know to look an adult in the eye and shake their hand with confidence when meeting for the first time?  Do your teenagers stand and offer their seat to the older generation when in waiting rooms?  How about life skills?  Cooking, for example.  Is your child prepared for the real world?

Ok... off my soap box I will step.  That wasn't even the reason for this post.  Just a little something free for you there! :)  I'm not even sure where it came from!

Well, anyway.  I thought that since I encouraged you to write some goals down and stick to them, that I would let you know where Little Man and I are with our goals for this six months.

1. Learn to recognize a rhyme-- not 100% on this yet, but getting it
2. Recognize beginning sounds-- he does pretty good, especially at the workbook pages, but has room to improve
3. Concepts of print--knows the difference between picture vs. print.  usually knows that we read left to right.  working on prediciting.
4. Patterns-- GOT IT!
5. Know words vs. letters--haven't really worked on this yet... we were focusing on having the letters down
6. Dress self-- doesn't want to, but GOT IT!
7. Be able to use zippers, snaps and buttons--doing pretty good!!
8. Understand the calendar-- he can sing the days of the week song, and knows to look at his calendar for daily events.  I am wanting him to understand concepts such as yesterday, tomorrow, this afternoon, etc.  We're getting there!
9. Form sets of objects--GOT IT!
10.  Understand number to object correlation and other number sense-- GOT IT!       
11.  Match upper with lower case letters--GOT IT!
12.  Journal and do related workbooks--ongoing   

Remember these were things he couldn't do 2 months ago when I made the list.  Not bad, huh?! :)

What about you?  Do You have goals and dreams for yourself?  This seems to be something that is being drilled into me right now.  First, our pastor started talking about it.  He said if you don't have dreams they can't come true (and much, much more). Then we attended a meeting for something totally unrelated and they were talking about having dreams.  Then Michael randomly started reading a Zig Ziglar book.  What do you think it was encouraging the reader to do?  DREAM!  Also, to write your goals and dreams down.  So that's what I'm going to encourage you to do.  I'm going to start dreaming big myself and I'll get back to you on what my goals and dreams are.  You work on your list too, OK? 

No comments:

Post a Comment