Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sweet Potatoe Fries

Mmmmm... I love me some sweet potato fries!  Actually, I love all things sweet potato.  Michael, on the other hand, does not.  I don't understand.  It's like eating a vegetable and having it taste like dessert.  What's not to love?  I've decided (being the loving wife that I am), that he will learn to love sweet potatoes.

I've made sweet potato fries a couple of times in the past.  He always eats them, but doesn't like that they are "mushy".  This time I decided to make them as discs in hopes that they would be less mushy.  They were!  You can make these as fries or discs.  Either way, they are yummy!

Here's the recipe I followed.
Ingredients:
Olive oil
Handful of fresh rosemary
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. sweet potatoes

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet lightly with olive oil. Spread rosemary evenly on baking sheet. Mix together all  ingredients except for sweet potatoes in a small bowl.
Thoroughly scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry. Slice off ends of potatoes and slice into fries. Place potatoes on top of rosemary. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake 20 minutes.
Stir fries and return to oven for 25 minutes or until golden. Makes 6 servings.
(Nutritional information: Calories: 44, Protein: 1 g., Carbs: 13 g., Fat: 0 g.)

The first time, I followed this exactly.  The second time I skipped the rosemary and cut the recipe in half.  I found that two large sweet potatoes are about a pound.  Also, if you make the discs the cook time will be less.
I used a cake pan since I don't have a traditional cookie sheet.
I coated it with olive oil cooking spray.

Ahhh.... beautiful sweet potatoes.  Pitter patter goes my heart. :)

Sprinkled with seasoning and drizzled with olive oil.

Here's my plate.  YUM-O!

I gave Michael all the crispier ones.
Some had actually burnt (because I had set the timer for the original time and didn't check them in time).
Luckily, there was still enough left for a good sized serving.

In the future, I'll probably make fries for me and discs for Michael.

I really liked this mixture of seasoning, but you can also use cinnamon and make them sweet.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I will be trying this for sure! I too LOVE sweet potatoes! And who can beat "fries" that are 44 calories?!!
    Meal looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - is it weird that I've never tried a sweet potato in my life?! What do they taste like?

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Word Melissa!! You go to the store and buy yourself a sweet potato TONIGHT!! :)

    Ok.... I actually never had one until my early 20's. Not until Edna started bringing them to Thanksgiving. They are so good though, and so good for you.

    They are most commonly eaten with marshmellows and a buttery cinnamon type sauce. When you eat them with cinnamon they sort of taste like pumpkin pie. I don't know. It's hard to explain.

    You can mash them up just like regular potatoes (only they are harder, so they take longer to cook). I get them as baked potatoes at restaurants. They usually come with butter and cinnamon on top. Or sweet potato fries, which can be seasoned to be either salty or sweet.

    Whatever you do, don't buy a can though. Yuck! Gross! You gotta buy the real deal.

    ReplyDelete