Tuesday, March 16, 2010

St. Patrick's Day themed playdate

Back when I was teaching we use to have all sorts of special themed days.  We didn't do things for just an activity or an hour.  Oh no.  I made a day out of it.  Of course the kids were learning, but they didn't know it.  Isn't that the best?  We would have Johnny Appleseed day, 100's day, Dr. Seuss day and more.  I've sort of carried this on to my current job.  To make it even more fun, we have other people over to join us for a themed play date.

Last year we had some friends over for a St. Patrick's Day play date.  It ended up being so fun that I thought I'd share it with you.  You still have time to get things together for tomorrow! :)

First, I colored this little guy.
I told the kids that he left them all sorts of little clues.  At the end of all the clues they would find their pot of gold.  I then gave them their first (clover shaped) clue.  I made them simple, and obviously I had to read it for them, but they L-O-V-E-D it!  I wish I had pictures... but you know.... it was last year.  No blog at that point. :)

They ran around the house laughing and giggling the whole time.
At the end there was a bowl of "treasures".  I bought Rolos as the "gold".  
It also had St. Patrick's day stickers, beaded necklaces (like those cheap marti gras ones), and sparkly pencils. 

The kids played with the stickers and decorated a piece of paper and then we made this
 I cut all sorts of green pieces out of catalogs.  The kids glued the green pieces on a piece of paper.  Then we laid and glued a  cut out clover over top to make a pretty picture.

It's all about the memories! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment