Monday, March 29, 2010

House Tour--The Kitchen

I apologize for not having you back to my house sooner.  I've been unusually busy these past few weeks and my house hasn't been the cleanest it could be.  I'm sure you understand, right?

Well, come on in and check out my kitchen... I'd offer you a seat, but there aren't any! :)

I know you've seen glimpses of the kitchen from other posts.  You usually see it from this angle.
Our living room and our kitchen are the only two rooms on the main floor of our house.  
(Sorry.  I haven't shown you the outside of the house.  You have to go up about 5 stairs to get to our door.  I say "main" floor, because it's not really ground level.)
This floor is an "open concept", which I like.  If I'm cooking in the kitchen, I can talk to Michael while he is  in the living room.  If he's doing the dishes, he can talk to me while I'm in the living room.  It works out.

Here are some other views/angles for you.
That light you see is a little landing and then is the stairs to the basement.
We'll visit down there another time.
We have a love/hate relationship with the stainless steel and the glass stove top.
They are very nice to look at, but the biggest pain in the butt to clean.
And... we don't even have kids putting hand and finger prints on them. *sigh*

So there you have it.  Our kitchen.
I can't really go as "CSI" as I did last time.  There aren't many things to zoom in on. 
(note-if you have no idea what I mean by that, go back and look at the living room post.)

I'll try to give you a little info though.

First, we hate having a corner sink.
You will notice, the dishwasher is on the left and the stove is on the right.
Michael, being the great husband he is, likes to be in the kitchen spending time with me while I cook.
Sometimes he likes to kill two birds with one stone and do the dishes while I cook and we chat about our day.  Unfortunately, this just doesn't work.
(The top of the blender is in the dishwasher in case you are observant and wondering.  I would be if this wasn't my house! :)

This isn't the greatest picture because of the lighting, but I like having the top of my shelves to decorate.
I told you in the living room post how that monogram is our cake topper.  I like that I came up with a way to reuse it.  The giraffes are from my trip to Africa.

There's lots I like about this... except the old bananas. ha!
I never wanted a block of knives on the counter.  Actually, I was pretty against it.  However, a relative got them for us for our wedding and I'm actually quite fond of them now.  It makes cooking super convenient.
I also love my kitchenaid and yes, I do use it!
I also like have the under the counter radio/CD player in the kitchen.

I really like this picture frame with the black and whites against the red wall.
If you look at the other pictures you may thing it's placed a little low on the wall. (or maybe it's just me).

I'll show you a little secret...
It's covering a phone jack!  We don't have a house phone, so I didn't want that hanging in the middle of my kitchen messing up my decorating.  So, we took the wall plate off and covered the hole with painters tape.  Brilliant if I do say so myself! 

I've told you before that I love wrought iron.  I seriously love this little scrolly thing.
I got it for $5.  Who can beat that?
I also like the top of the hutch.  The little Peace sign is for Michael.  He likes all things Asian.  You'll have to ask him about it!

LOVE the birdcage candle holder.  It was also the "card box" at my wedding.

The microwave cart and hutch were both purchased at Target for ridiculously good deals.  (and by that I mean the hutch was originally $250 and we got it for $48 or something like that.)  They fit perfectly into the space and were desperately needed for extra storage.

Also, the space above the fridge was empty.  I traded some tutoring with a dad of one of my students to order and install cabinets up there.  It was some serious empty space that I had great plans for.  (Cereal boxes being "great" in that regard. ha!)

Oh, and I forgot to point out the floors.  The entire main floor has laminate wood floors.  I like them alot.  They dress the place up and are easy to clean.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of our kitchen.  I'll try to invite back quicker next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment