Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Wreath

You may remember this wreath from this before and after post back in June.
 I bought it so that I could have a wreath for times when I didn't have a holiday to decorate for.  I got it in the outdoor section at Target.  It was sort of expensive (for a wreath), but I thought it could be used year round.  Unfortunately, it started molding shortly after we got it.  It is now four months later (almost to date) and it is ruined.  It is all black and nasty looking and is going in the trash.  Awful.  Don't buy it!

So I figured it was time to make a fall type wreath.  
I considered just buying one, but most of the ones at Michael's and Jo Ann's were $20 even at 50% off.  
I didn't think they were that great, so it was craft time!

I bought another one of those grapevine wreaths for $4.
Only, instead of leaving it brown, I decided to spray paint it a cream color.  
Hence the reason it's sitting in some dirt.

I did it in the dirt, because my last spray painting project left a little paint on our porch.  Michael wasn't thrilled.  This time it looked like this...
Then I just shifted the dirt around with my foot! :)

These are the other supplies I used (all on sale for 50% off!)

I used some rafia and wrapped it around like ribbon.
Sorry... I didn't realize the picture was blurry when taking it.  This was actually the second picture I took too.

Then I added these picks
Next I hot glued the leaves and pinecones.
You may have noticed I bought two bags of leaves.  One bag would be enough, but I wanted the varying shapes.  One bag was oak leaves and one bag was maple leaves.  The bags were $1, so I didn't mind buying two.  I can use the leaves elsewhere.

Hanging on my door

I am glad I spray painted it.  It helps it stand out a little on my dark door.

The entire thing cost me under $20 (so less than a pre-made one), plus I have lot of supplies left, AND I got to be crafty.  I call that a WIN! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment