Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cute Owl

This craft is not actually something I made up.  Remember how I get all those crazy magazines trying to get me to buy stuff for my classroom?!?!  Well, one of the magazines I get often is Oriental Trading Company.  I love looking through it and getting ideas.  Most of the stuff they sell is in bulk (ex. makes 12), so it's not something I can benefit from.  However, I can copy! :)

I saw a cute little owl craft and figured I had most of the supplies to just make it myself.  So that's what I did.  I used foam board because I had a pack.  It's what was used in the catalog as well.  Although, I'm sure construction paper would work out fine as well.

First I cut out he body

Then the inside layer




Next, I drew all the other pieces out so Little Man could cut them.
He probably could have cut the top two pieces too, but I wasn't thinking.  The craft comes with all the pieces cut out and you just put it together, so that's what I started doing.  Oh well.
They actually used huge googly eyes, but I didn't have any.  I had two different sized smaller ones, but knew they wouldn't work.  So I improvised and chose some sequence we had.  Paper would have worked too.

I did cut out the leaf wings.  I drew them out, but they were just not working for me.  I knew I'd have to improvise a little when cutting to make them look right.  So that's what I did.

Then, when Little Man got home from preschool, he cut the remaining pieces out and glued it all together to make a cute owl.
(Cutting foam feels pretty neat, so we had to save the extra pieces for him to just chop up for fun!)

Adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment