Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oh how I love thee... (14)


... let me count the ways.

I love that Michael gets along with my family.  That doesn't always happen in a marriage, and I am grateful that he can see the good in all their craziness! :)  He actually enjoys going back to Indiana to visit with my grandma, cousins, aunts/uncles, etc.  Not only does he like my family, but he engages with my family.  I don't take that for granted.  I have seen my share of bump-on-a-log husbands/boyfriends.  You know the kind-- sits off by himself... doesn't talk to anyone... refuses to play games or be involved in the activity at hand... doesn't make any effort to "be a part".  Long before I met Michael, I vowed I would not be with someone like that.  My family may be crazy, but they are still my family.  Rude behavior or lame excuses don't fly with me.  Luckily, I didn't have to worry when it came to Michael.

The very first time I took him home was for Easter.  There were twenty some people at dinner that day, and he made an effort to talk to every. single. person.  All the way from talking politics with my grandma over breakfast, to talking video games with my nephews at lunch and everyone in between.  I don't know many other guys like that--that would make such a conscious effort.

He may not play every game, or be involved or aggressive in every conversation, but he sure does make an effort.  (Even when everyone plays his hand for him in cards!)  I love him for that.  It's not just my family in Indiana either.  He is loves hanging out with my sister and her kids, and he's a good/helpful brother-in-law and uncle.  I love that he loves, enjoys, and appreciates my family just as much as I do.

3 comments:

  1. awww we love Michael...Jimmy used to play games and then he figured he did his time and had enough of that! ha! I still bug him to play cards! Michael is a good sport and we are glad to have him in our family! (p.s. I LOVE your hair in that picture!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure is a great Brother in law & uncle!!

    Thanks for that Michael!! :-)

    That is a great picture of you 2!! :-)

    Love you!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete