Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cholesterol and Oatmeal

High cholesterol is something I have struggled with for most of my life.  In fact, as a preteen I saw a dietitian weekly to try to get my numbers under control.  Sadly, I don't really know what my cholesterol is right now (Gasp--I know, I know), but I can bet they are higher than they need to be.  That being said, when I heard just how good oatmeal was for cholesterol levels, I signed on for a daily oatmeal breakfast.

I mean, I knew oatmeal was good for cholesterol.  You always hear commercials for different foods exclaiming how they will help your numbers.  But here's what made me make the switch...

Little Man's uncle (who is in his late 40's/early 50's) had high cholesterol and was taking medication for it.  He went to get his hair cut one day and his barber mentioned that he was losing his hair.  Turns out that hair loss is a side effect of the medication.  As Papa stated, "He's not a vain man, but who wants to lose their hair?!"  So, being the highly educated man that he is, he "researched the hell out of it" (Papa's words again).  In his research he found that eating oatmeal daily was suppose to dramatically drop his cholesterol levels.  He figured he'd give it a try.  After doing this for some time, he went to get his cholesterol checked and his levels were BETTER than when he was taking MEDICATION!!  Seriously?  Sign me up!  Papa is also eating oatmeal daily now.

Oh, and while good old fashion oats with no yummy goodness on them is probably the preferred type to eat, these men are eating the instant packets that can be heated up in the microwave.  Yes.  Those results came even by eating the sugary kind!  Can you believe it?!  WOO HOO!!

I was eating oatmeal a few mornings a week, but have now switched to every day.  Not only is it good for me (and my cholesterol), but it just makes life easier.  Plus, I have found an oatmeal that I absolutely  L.O.V.E.  Introducing..........

Oh my goodness, it tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie.  The key is to use milk.  Trust me.  It makes a huge difference.  Little Man, lover of all things oatmeal, now even insists on his being made with milk.  K said she tasted it and was shocked that it was "like a whole different meal" and that it's "soooooo much better" with milk.

I have been eating this oatmeal every day for over a month now and I'm not sick of it yet.  That's how yummy it is!  It calls for half a cup of milk.  I drink the other half a cup to make sure I get a whole cup of milk in.  This meal keeps me full for a while and is low in calories.  I recommend you go get a box today!  (I have found it at Meijer, but not Giant Eagle.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing oatmeal too, but not for your reasons, and I make sure to give Jimmy a lot of oatmeal too, since he also has high choloesterol...probably should do everyday. I hate oatmeal, but it's filling. Since you mentioned it's totally different with milk, i might give that a try--do you use FF? That one you mentioned looks yummy--too bad it has nuts in it :( All those heart healthy hearty ones do! I'm trying to find a good one that I'll actually eat the whole packet of! I know, I don't even get through 1 whole packet and that's my breakfast! Wondering what other ones should I try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I thought you might comment, Erica. I know you've tried to eat oatmeal before and don't really like it. Yes, I use FF milk... but you could use any milk really. I know you don't like nuts, but I don't think you can actually "taste" them. It's more of just a crunch. If you can get past that, I'll bring you a packet this weekend to try. Before I found this packet, I ate the apples and cinnamon one. It actually has some of the lowest calories and is one of the best to me. Michael eats that one. We also just tried some apple/cranberry/almond one that was good--but again, with the nuts.

    ReplyDelete