Thursday, October 7, 2010

Apple Crisp

Sick of apples yet?  I promise this is the last apple recipe for you!

This is actually a recipe I've been making for a while.  I made it the for the first time soon after I moved to Columbus.  I had some friends over for dinner, and apple crisp seemed like the perfect fall dessert.

The recipe comes from this cookbook
Notice it says "Bridal Edition"... this was one of my college graduation gifts from my mom.
No, I was not married at the time.  No, I was not engaged either.  I wasn't even dating anyone.  Oh c'mon.  That's funny.  That's my mom for you.  You just have to laugh.

The cookbook is a good one though.  It has lots of helpful information in it, besides the good recipes.

Here's what you'll need:
4 medium tart cooking apples (Rome, Granny Smith...)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg

What you do:
Heat the oven to 375.  Grease the bottom and sides of a square pan, 8x8x2 in, with some shortening.
(I didn't use a square pan, but rather an oval one, and I just sprayed it with Pam)

Peel and cut apples
I used 5 apples, because mine were pretty small.
Also, I used the Pampered Chef apple slicer-this cuts the apples into 10 pieces, and then I cut each piece in half again.  (For the pie I did the same thing, but cut each slice into thirds.)

Spread apples in the pan
Using this pan does make the apples a little thinner of a layer, but it still works out alright.
I like using this dish, because then I can just throw the lid on the leftovers and put it in the fridge.

Mix brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg

Add in butter

Sprinkle over apples

Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.

Serve warm with whip cream or ice cream
Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I have that cookbook too!!! I've never attempted Apple Crisp, although it's one of my favorite desserts, will have to try it! Next you should do Pumpkin recipes :) I'm serious, I love anything pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I need bigger pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica-- take a small can of pumpkin, mix it with dry angel food cake mix, add pumpkin pie spice, bake it for whatever the time says on the box and viola.... a wonderful pumpkin dessert (and low in calories). Works best in a 9x13.

    ReplyDelete