Monday, October 4, 2010

Apple Pie

As you know, I have lots of apples to use up.  It was time to make an apple pie!  I don't think you can pick apples and not make an apple pie.  How un-American, right? :)  So an apple pie I made.

Ok, actually I made two.  One at work with Little Man's apples and one at home for my deary husband.  I actually made this pie for the very first time two years ago.  Little Man and I had picked apples, and I thought it was fun to make them a pie.  I had never made a pie before.  At least not a fruit pie, and definitely not a homemade crust.  I had no pie experience.  I was never taught by my mom, and the only other person who I use as a cooking reference (my sister) refuses to make pies because her crusts don't turn out.  I figured it was worth a try though, so that's what I did.  My boss said it was the best apple pie she had ever had, so I took that as a great success.

To date, I have still only made three pies.  That first one two years ago, and then the two from this week.  I think the recipe is a definite keeper though.  I found it on all recipes and it's listed under "Perfect Apple Pie".
What you need:

CRUST
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
 4 T cold water (or more!)

FILLING
7 cups thinly sliced, peeled baking apples
2 T lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
2 T butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
1 T water

In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening.
Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
NOTE: I used between 7 and 8 tablespoons each time, instead of the four called for.  Luckily I had read the reviews before hand and someone else had stated this, so when mine wasn't working with the four tablespoons I didn't worry so much to add more.

Also, you don't want to over mix the dough.  This will result in a non flaky crust.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Some people did say they just use store bought crust.  Obviously you could do this.  I just liked the sense of accomplishment that I made the entire thing on my own--no short cuts! :)

While that was chilling, I worked on getting the filling ready.
I was actually so preoccupied during this that I forgot to take pictures, but here is what you do.

Peel the apples and then slice thinly.  I have found that generally a normal/medium size apple turns into about a cup when cut.  That said you will need about 7 apples to get the 7 cups called for.  I used about 8 since some of mine were small.

Throw the apples into a large bowl.  Then toss with lemon juice.  Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add to apples and toss.

Take half of the dough and roll into a 10 inch circle.  Place in 9 inch pie plate.

Pour apples in

Dot with butter

Roll out remaining pastry and fit to top of pie.
The directions say to cut slits into the top, but instead of slits I cut small leaves out!

Place over the filling and seal and flute the edges.  Umm... "flute"?  Yeah, my edges aren't that great, but please give me a break.  This is only my third pie! :)

Beat egg yolk and water, brush over pastry.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
I recommend putting a cookie sheet on the shelf underneath in case it leaks.


I'm not much of a pie person.  Oddly, I don't like crust.  I rarely eat pie that has crust on the top and bottom.  It's just too much work! :)  But this pie is gooood.  The crust was even flaky!  YEAH!
Michael approves.

6 caramel apples + 8 apples for pie = 14 apples down, lots more to go!

2 comments:

  1. Looks very good B! :-)

    I might actually have to try the recipe some time . ..

    Ang

    ReplyDelete