Sunday, October 3, 2010

Church Hopper?

Am I a "church hopper"?  I don't think so.  I mean, I don't want to be.  I never intended to be.  I'm not under an illusion that there is a perfect church out there.  I'm not searching for a perfect church.  I'm just looking to find a home.

I would love nothing more than to find a church to call my home and be there for the next forty years (or whatever it may be).  I never had such problems until I moved here...

I lived in South Dakota until I was 8, and went to the same church for almost all 8 of those years.  From there we moved to Milwaukee, and shortly after moving there we found a church that became our home.  We went through a couple of pastors in my time there, a small "scandal", and lots of changes.  Never did it occur to me (or us) to leave. 

From there I went to college.  I did go to a "church" city, so my first year I did sort of wander and visit and try to figure out my place.  However, after that, I spent three years being involved in a church I loved.

You see... I'm not a church hopper kind of girl.  I love finding my fit, getting involved, and having a church family to walk this life with.

Then I moved here.  I have lived here 8 years now and have attended multiple churches.  More than I would like to admit to.  I feel as though I've left for valid reasons... not having people my age, saying things from the pulpit/in life group that go against what I believe, or one of us (Michael or I) not feeling comfortable.  In marriage, it's important that both people are on board with the church.

That brings us to our current situation.  We have been attending our current church for over a year now and really like it.  When we left the first service, we were both very excited about it.  It was exactly what we were looking for.  It is super close to our house.  It had a good vibe and aligned with what we believe.  Perfect.  Well, almost.

Then out of nowhere we found out that a church plant was happening in our area.  Not only is it a church plant, but it's an Assemblies of God church plant.  It's literally right down the street from our house.  Some of the people that are involved are actually from Wisconsin, and two are girls that I went to church and school with.  (Yes, remember that church I mentioned in Milwaukee that was my home?  They are from that church!)  We decided to visit.  We've gone to two pre-launch services and have really liked what we've seen.  There really is no reason for us to switch churches, except for the fact that we just both feel like we'd rather be in an A/G church.

We like that team are young--our age.  We like that they are part of a denomination and not just independent (no one keeping them accountable).  We like that it's new and fresh.  We like the idea of being on it from the start.  We like that they are outreach minded.  There is so much more, but this blog is getting long.  However, we are really excited to be a part of this new adventure.

If you are in the Columbus area and don't have a home church, we invite you to come check it out.
It's official launch will be on January 23rd.  Church services will be on Sunday's at 10 from that point on, but are one Saturday night a month as of right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment