Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Ugly Tray

I found this (ugly) tray at Home Goods while out shopping with my sister one day.  I bought it for $7 and had grand plans to change it into something beautiful.  It's been sitting in my basement waiting oh-so-patiently for it's transformation.  Originally I put it off because were going to move.  I wanted to make sure that whatever I did to it matched the new colors and schemes of the new house.  Well, we took our house off the market 6 months ago and don't plan on going anywhere for quite some time, so I figured--what the heck?  Now or never.

I decided I wanted the edges a green color.  I sort of liked the design around the edge, but the green wasn't quite the right shade.  So I decided I would paint it green and add my own scrolls and embellishments.  I ended up using a metallic colored green that I had from another project.  It was very thin and after a few layers you could still see the design.... but I ended up liking it like that!  I love it when "accidents" turn out to be awesome.

Then I bought some magnetic primer and chalkboard paint at Home Depot.  

I was super excited when I found out you can get chalkboard paint that can be tinted a color!
  I chose coffee because I thought it would go with the colors already in my kitchen.

So I got to work painting the magnetic paint on.  It's very thick.  It says it's best to do three thin coats as opposed to two thick ones, but I don't know how you can do a "thin" coat with that paint.

They shake the paint for you when you buy it, but you have to keep stirring it.  Even after I painted one coat and let it dry for 30 minutes, it was needing another stir.

After the three "thin" coats were dry.

Then I had to paint the chalkboard paint on.  It was super THIN.  Especially compared to the magnetic paint.  I was very worried after the first coat, because it hardly covered and you could see the black through the brown paint.

The finished product was actually brown.  Phew!

Then I had to figure out how to attach it to the wall.  I had seen some "disc" plate holders before somewhere (and stored them in my brain for later use).  I got online and ordered one from Amazon for $1.50.  (But I actually had a $2 code, so it was free.  SCORE!)
*Please excuse the shadows.  I apparently wasn't paying attention!

Anyway, different sizes can hold a different amount of weight.  I bought a bigger one.  I think it's suppose to hold five to seven pounds.

The back has a wallpaper like glue on it.  You get your fingers wet and rub the glue around until it makes a sticky glue.  Then you let it set for a few minutes.

Attach it to your clean plate tray.  Let sit overnight and then hang!

The finished product...
The only thing is... the magnetic paint isn't all that strong.  I had read a review somewhere that said you needed super strong magnets for it, so I sort of knew it going into it.  But for the price... it should be stronger!  Oh well.  It's still cute and fun and will do for now.

BEFORE
 
AFTER
 

1 comment:

  1. Great job, B!! I like what you did with it ~ looks great in your kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete