Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Roast

If you know me at all, you are probably wondering why in the world I have a post entitled roast.  I have spent the last 30 years of my life proclaiming my hate of all things roast.  It's true.  I've never been much of a fan.  Mostly because my mother ruined it for me.  When we were little she would make roast almost every Sunday.  It never had any flavor and was always so dry.  Yuck.  After years of having to choke the stuff down, I went on a full out "no more roast" campaign.  Ok.  Not really.  But I did try to avoid the meat as much as possible.

Well, one day I was looking around for recipes and found one that everyone RAVED about.  It was a roast recipe.  I stashed it away in my little collection... not really sure if I'd ever use it or not.  Then one day I was grocery shopping and our store was having a good sale on meat.  All the roasts were buy one get one free.  Well, you know me and my money saving efforts.  Plus, Michael loves roast.  So, I decided to do the very frugal thing the very loving wife thing and buy the roast.  I made the recipe and it was a BIG HIT.  I've never heard Michael go on as much as he did about the roast.  And guess what?  I even liked it!!!! Who knew I could like roast?

So here you are.  It's super easy.  It's a packet of ranch salad dressing mix, a packet of italian dressing mix and a packet of brown gravy mix.  Take all the packets, mix them together.  Put the roast in a crock pot and pour the seasoning over the roast.  The recipe says use a 1/2 cup water, but you need more than that to actually mix up all that powder.  I usually use about a cup to cup and a half.  Just enough water so that all the dry mix is now wet.  Then cook it for 7 to 9 hours.

Here's what ours looked like almost done (after I already cut all the fat off)
The recipe said to use about a 3 pound roast.  I think mine was about 2.  I'm sure any size will do.

Sooooo good!

One time I didn't have the italian dressing packet, so I used a garlic and herb dressing packet that I had.  Turned out just as good.  You could probably play around with it if you are adventurous like that.

Some people on the site who reviewed the recipe complained of it being too salty and cut the ranch packet in half.  I tend to think I'm pretty sensitive to things being salty since my mother cooked with no salt and I cook with little to none.  Neither Michael or I thought it was too salty.  It's a little salty, but not any worse than me dowsing my dry nasty roast with raw salt! :)  Plus, I think since I added more water than the recipe called for, it may have helped dilute it a little.

Also, I like to turn the roast over every hour or so as it cooks so all sides get seasoned.  However, if you aren't home when it's cooking in the crock pot, I'm sure it will be fine.  There is plenty of juice/sauce to use as a gravy as well.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Boy oh boy, I agree. That looks soooooo gooooood! I'm a newly single dad and I need recipes like this for my boy. I just don't have the time to cook for an hour every night. Thank you!

    Mike Rocha
    Publisher, SmallApplianceDepot.com

    ReplyDelete