Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I *heart* mushrooms!

I love mushrooms!  I know that most people either love them or hate them.  I happen to be in the "love them" category!  Stuffed mushrooms at Olive Garden = love.  Mushroom Ravioli at Brio = love.  Mushroom pizza from Papa Johns = love.  That's right.  I eat pizza with only mushrooms on it.  Weird to some, but yummy to me.

I am always buying mushrooms at the store to put in recipes, salads and omelets.  I don't know about your store, but my store always seems to have the little plastic wrapped containers of them on sale... usually 2 for $3.  Deal! :)


The only problem is... Michael doesn't like mushrooms!  He'll eat them in things I make and I've even got him to  come around to having them in his omelets too.  However, I usually can't get through a container before it starts to get bad.

That is, until I read a FANTASTIC tip.  (No idea where I read it.  Some magazine I think.)  Now my mushrooms stay fresh much longer and I feel better because there is no waste.

For those of you out there that love mushrooms as much as I do and just need to know... here it is.  Take them out of the plastic and put them in a paper bag.
Yep, it's as simple at that.  Of course the article went on to say why the plastic makes the mushrooms mushy faster, but I didn't have time to pay attention to such things. :)  I just wanted the info.  To be honest, I was a bit skeptical too.  But after throwing out almost an entire container, I decided it was worth a try.  IT WORKED!  I've been brown bagging them ever since.
 Hopefully someone out there will be just as excited about this little tidbit of information as I am! :)

3 comments:

  1. me!!! im excited about it! I always had the same problem!! I'll give it a go!! thanks Biff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mushrooms too! Not to the extent of eating just mushrooms on a pizza . . . but LOVE them in dishes (esp. Veal Marsala ~ I could eat just Mushroom Marsala!!!) . . . Love them sauted, stuffed, deep fried, etc!! Yum!!

    Great tip, B!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can save all Michael's mushrooms for me. Papa Johns with only mushrooms sounds wonderful!
    www.bobbkat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete