Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Teaching the Tot--Prewriting

Our craft from yesterday didn't last too long, but we didn't let that stop us.  I attempted to do a pre-writing activity with Olivia.  She draws/"writes" on her chalkboard, whiteboard, and magnadoodle on a regular basis.  As much as I try to get her to draw a circle or anything really, she insists on just scribbling the same scribbles over and over.

I drew a straight line on a paper and had her trace it with her finger.  This took me modeling it, holding her hand and guiding her, and then allowing her to attempt it herself.

Then I drew a squiggle line and we attempted again. Each time I had to reinforce that we go from left to right.

She sort of understood, but wanted to rush through it mostly.

We will definitely need to keep working on this, but I think it was a good introduction.

Then I just let her draw.

Even though there is still some time before true hand dominance can be determined, she seems to be a righty.

Scribbling all over the front and back of the page we were using wasn't enough for her...

So we spent the rest of the morning coloring together.

Funny side note:
She's seen Dora the Explorer all of twice in her entire life and both times were back when we were still living at her grandma's over four months ago.  We used these pipsqueak markers last week for the first time since moving to Ohio.  She looked at this little marker picture and started singing, "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map."  If you know Dora at all, then you may find that both smart and funny as well. I was impressed with the connection she made, anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment