Thursday, April 22, 2010

Goals and Dreams

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.

Nothing happens unless first a dream.

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. 
Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had been challenged to write my goals and dreams down.

Our pastor said that if you can't picture yourself in your dream, then it will never come true.  For example, if you say your dream is to own a corvette, but you can't really picture yourself owning a corvette--it will probably never happen.  This seems so obvious, but I had never thought of it like that before.  Picturing myself living out some of my hopes and dreams is hard for me.  I'm working on it.

Another source recently challenged me to write down 100 dreams.  Can you imagine?  100 goals and dreams for your life doesn't sound hard, but when you sit down to do it, it starts getting hard at around 60.  I did write down 100 though.

My list is a little different than you may expect.  Some can be checked off when accomplished, some are not quantitative, some are materialistic and some are not.  This is not a bucket list.  This list was also written with the idea that money was no option.  If you dream big and with no limits, you may actually achieve them.  If not, I can always die trying right? :)

I've decided for a few reasons that I don't want to list the entire list of 100.  First, because it would be incredibly long.  Second, because it makes me feel a little vulnerable and some things are best kept to ourselves.  My hope is that this is perceived the way I am intending it (and to not come across as materialistic), and to inspire you to write down your own list of goals and dreams.

These are in no particular order....

  • To own my dream home free and clear
  • To be able to furnish my house with furniture from wherever I want (i.e. Ballard Designs and not Target)
  • Have the most comfortable bed I can find
  • Drive the SUV of my choice--with all the extras!
  • Be a mom--the best mom I can be
  • Take a hot air balloon ride
  • Be able (financially) to sign my children up for any activities I want (i.e. The Little Gym, etc)
  • Be the best wife I can be and always make my marriage a priority
  • Send actual mail to people more often
  • Have faith to move a mountain
  • Make my children proud
  • Become a "runner"
  • Have 100 followers no my blog
  • Have a porch swing
  • Be able to be generous on every occasion--leave random huge tips!
  • Go on a missions trip with Michael
  • Start or be a part of an amazing mom group
  • Quiet myself to better hear God's voice
  • Go skiing--at least once (I'm scared to break a leg!!)
  • Mentor a teenage girl
  • Have a HUGE walk in closet with an island
  • Leave a legacy
  • Be in a TV audience
  • Visit all 50 states
  • Be able to have Starbucks every day if I want to :)
  • Be a room mom
  • Learn Photography
  • Own fancy camera for said photography
  • Give money to autism research or help sponsor an autistic kid not on a waiver
  • Be a good witness, not just by word but by action too
  • Go on field trips with my children
  • Have a huge trampoline
  • Read the entire Bible
  • Make my home a haven for my children and their friends
  • Have a dream craft room--fully stocked
  • Learn to knit
  • Financially help/support/bless a single Christian school teacher
  • Go to Australia
  • Take my sister on an amazing vacation as a thank you for always supporting me
  • Learn to forgive and truly do so
  • Go to a Broadway show at least once a year
  • Go on another African safari--this time with my love
  • Take more dance lessons with Micahel
  • Learn to garden and have a successful one
  • Take cooking lessons
  • Attend more woman's conferences
  • Eat mostly "clean" food
  • Help build my kids the  coolest tree house/fort ever
  • Go to Norway and Germany to see my roots
  • Have the freedom to send my kids to the best schools--if we so choose
  • Help out a needy child--adopt or be a foster parent if we feel led.  If not, support someone (or an organization) that does
  • Establish fun family traditions that my children will enjoy and remember forever
 Well, there you go.  That's about half of my list.  I encourage you, even if you never share it with anyone, to write down your list of dreams and goals.  Make sure you read it over often and shoot for the starts! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I've heard about picturing yourself in your dream before too, and trust me I have on my one true dream!

    I love the list you have all good dream/goals!I would say a lot on your list would be on my list too!

    You are a wonderful person, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, B!! :-)

    You can accomplish anything you want!

    Love you!

    Ang

    ReplyDelete