Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pinterest: 2 delights and a dud


 Ok, so I didn't actually get this first recipe from Pinterest... but it was still from the internet, so it's essentially the same thing, right?  I had this bag of carrots sitting in my fridge waiting for me to peel, chop, and steam for Olivia.  The problem is that Olivia has decided she no longer likes carrots.  Then there was the fact that we eat the same list of steamed vegetables all the time (peas, green beans, broccoli, corn, squash, repeat.)  I was sick of it, so I went on a hunt for a good carrot recipe.  I found this.  Honestly, I'm not sure Michael is that big of a carrot fan in general either, but he will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him.

Glazed Mini Carrots
They were super easy to make and I loved them.  Of course, they used a ton of butter, but I'm sure you could use a little less.  Olivia even ate a few.  I didn't use baby carrots, because I had a bag of regular carrots so I just used slices.


So... the funny thing with this recipe is that neither Michael or I really even like buffalo chicken.  But I saw one friend post about this on another friend's facebook feed.  It was over a year ago, long before I even became remotely active on Pinterest.  Then a few days later friend B wrote back to friend A saying that they loved them and had made them twice that week.  I've NEVER made the same meal twice in one week unless it was because I was reheating leftovers.  I had to know what the buzz was about.  I stalked them on Pinterest, found the recipe and decided to make it.  Good thing too, because we love it.  It's actually one of Michael's favorite meals.  In fact, I just made it this last week and used the rest of our hot sauce.  I don't mess with the green onions.  Michael doesn't like avocado, so he eats his without.  I have no idea why you need to use the seasoning for the chicken.  I don't think you can taste anything but the sauce.  I've never tried it without though.  We are relatively wimpy when it comes to spicy food, so we also have this with a glass of milk.  Of course, Olivia eats something different on these nights.  Like hummus... which she loves but we hate. It's a win/win. :)

 Remember how I said I was sick of eating the same old veggies every week?  Well Olivia loves zucchini.  Seriously, I think she could eat an entire steamed zucchini a day if I'd let her.  So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I thought I'd give it a try as a dinner side for all of us.


Now I am not a complete idiot in the kitchen, but mine didn't look anything like the ones pictured.  Not only that, but they didn't taste good either.  We all ate them--well, Michael and I did.  Olivia spit hers out--but I didn't save the leftovers.  They were gross.  If the zucchini lover won't eat them, then you know they are bad.  She'd rather hers be completely plain.  I won't be making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment