Thursday, January 10, 2013

Baby Toys and a trip to BRU

Age ranges on toys confuse me.  There are so many out there that say 0 to 36 months.  How could a newborn enjoy the same toy as a 3 year old?  This is a difficult concept for me to understand. Ha ha!  But I do know that kids can go through phases and find new interest in old toys.

I am completely conflicted about packing up toys.  Not because I'm being sentimental either.  On one hand, we have an abundance of toys and I want to simplify and pack away what is not being used.  On the other hand, I always think to myself, "Sure, she doesn't show much interest in it now... but that could end up being her favorite toy in 6 months!" Ugh. So for now, I've just been placing items in her closet.  That way, I can pull them out on a "rainy day".

Last Friday she took great interest in these blocks.
She has had these since before she was born.  Two of them rattle and two of them crinkle.  When she was itty bitty, I would make the noises for her.  I would talk to her about the colors, numbers, letters, and animals pictured on the blocks.

They have been sitting in a small toy box in her bedroom for a few months now.  She rarely pays them any attention.

On this particular day she sat and stacked them over and over.  She'd stack all four, then knock them down and laugh.  Repeat.  She also likes to talk about the animals.

Back to sitting in a "W".  We tell her, "Olivia, put your leg out."  Surprsingly, she knows exactly what we are saying and does it.  But then if she moves or gets too involved with what she's doing, back to the "W" it goes.

I guess these baby blocks will remain out of storage a little longer.

By Friday afternoon I decided that we needed to get out of the house.  We didn't really have anywhere to go, and spending money is not on our "to do" list at the moment.  Buuut... Olivia got a gift card to Babies R Us from my brother.  So off we went.

There aren't too many things Olivia needs. Of course, I could come up with all sorts of wants.  My original plan was to get some water colors and some of those paint with water coloring books.  Unfortunately, at our location, there were no such items.

So we wandered the store.  We wandered and we wandered.  We ended up being there for an hour and a half. I found lots of "Oh that could work" items, but I just wasn't sure.

We did check out the horses and elephants.
Olivia loved this horse.  It rocks and sings songs when you press it's ear.  Just this last month she has been on a few friend's riding toys and has decided they aren't too bad.  (She use to not like them.)  I was half tempted to get it.  It was only $5 more than the gift card.  It was small though, and I was afraid she'd grow out of it too fast.

She actually asked to sit on the elephant. Last time she cried.
We stood here for a while.  She just kept looking at them and saying, "Elephant! Horsey! Elephant! Horsey!" :)

There are two spaces on our puzzle rack that are empty.  It holds 12 puzzles and we have 10.  This sort of drives me crazy, so when I saw that a few select puzzles were on sale that was the route I was going to go.  Then they had this whole classic wooden toy aisle and I was in love.  I was going to get her one of those peg pounding toys as well.  Also on the list of "Maybes" was a toy broom and/or vacuum.

But after circling one more time, what ended up winning out was a toy drum with other instruments inside.
(not the best picture, she moves too fast for my phone camera)
Some of the instruments that came inside are duplicates to what we already have.  However, there were enough other "new" instruments to make it worth it.

On our trip to Indiana, we watched an Elmo DVD from the library that was about music and there was a whole section on playing the drums.  Since then, she has pretended to play the drums on all sorts of objects.  She was reminded about the drums in a book we read and she kept pounding on her legs and my legs saying "boom boom boom".  I figured, it was time to get the girl a drum! :)  She LOVES it.

No comments:

Post a Comment