Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Journey: Finances

Quitting my job was a HUGE step of faith.  I was a well paid nanny.  We knew it would be a sacrifice.  We knew it would be tough.  We knew that Michael would probably have to get a second job.  We also knew that it would be worth it.  Not just for my own sanity and emotional well being, but for Olivia.  It would not be fair for her to have to be sitting at Tae Kwon Do three times a week, gymnastics another day, soccer another day, and hours in the car to and from school and to the activities.  While the job looked good on paper, it was quickly becoming a huge burden.

Well, I quit in August.  We were doing alright at first, but slowly things became tighter and tighter.  Michael began looking for a second job, but things weren't really working out.  He is at his day job for 9 hours (hour lunch), and then with travel time, it was hard to find a second job that would work.  Plus, he wasn't looking forward to being away from Olivia and I, so he was sort of dragging his feet.

That brings us to the last two or three months. Desperate times called for desperate measure and he was applying for everything.  I would look online and send him jobs that I thought would work.  He was even applying at fast food.  Not necessarily something that excited him at the age of 35.

While I was looking for jobs for him, I randomly came across a post for an A/G church in our area looking for childcare help.  The hours were really minimal and most of them worked around Michael's schedule.  I also knew there would be no problem bringing Olivia with me if I needed to.  I didn't really want to work, but watching a group of kids at a church a few hours a week can hardly be considered work.  So I applied.  I have a degree in education from an A/G college, and I taught at an A/G affiliated Christian school for 6 years, so I was pretty sure it was a sure thing.

I had a phone interview with one lady and then had to go in for a meeting with the children's pastor last Wednesday.  I was suppose to meet a friend for coffee after the interview, but she had to cancel.  So in my head I was planning on going to Target afterwards.  There were a few health and beauty items I needed, and wandering around Target for an hour by myself sounded delightful.  Then at dinner Michael asked if I could go to the store.  I told him I was already planning on going to Target.  He asked if I could go to Kroger instead.  We had a little bit left on a gift card and he wanted me to pick up a few things for him.  I said that was fine.

So after wandering Kroger for an hour and picking up my stuff, I checked out and got ready to leave.  Unfortunately, our Kroger closes one of the exits at 9 and makes everyone go out the main door.  I looked at my phone and it was 9:03.  I had to walk across the freezing cold parking lot (and yes, it was in the low 30's!) because I had missed using the side exit by 3 minutes.  As I was walking out the main entrance, I saw a sign that said now hiring.  I sort of stored it in my mind to mention to Michael.  Then as I got closer, I saw that there was a sheet attached.  They were having a job fair the very next day!  I took a picture and sent the details to Michael.

The next day, he went to the job fair on his lunch break.  He got hired on the spot!  The day before we were both feeling really low as we were talking about a few things.  Michael said, "If it's true that God doesn't give you more than you can handle, then He needs to show up immediately, because I think we are both at our breaking points".  And don't you know.... He did!

The pay isn't great, but it's a union job so there are guaranteed raises every six months.  After 90 days, Michael can get insurance for himself for $5 a week.  He currently pays about $120 a month through his work just for him, and it isn't even great insurance.  That will be a great savings!  After a year, he can get family insurance for $12 a week.  You don't even want to know what we pay for private insurance for Olivia and myself and it isn't great either!  We will get 15% off of our cell phone bill.  There are all sorts of other benefits as well.  He has to work a minimum of 15 hours a week, but can pick up more if he wants.  He will be working in the health and nutrition section. Yep, where we frequent for Olivia's milk, yogurt, and snacks. :)

He was actually offered a job at a fast food place earlier in the week, and then they changed their mind.  (It is a really weird situation that we have yet to figure out).  It would have paid more, but he didn't have a peace about it.  He has a complete peace about working at Kroger.  The lady that interviewed him said that a lot of people work there as a second job.  They put in the minimum 15 hours a week just for the insurance and benefits.  This will likely be Michael until his company grows big enough to offer great insurance.  Who knows when that will be.

SO in a matter of a week, both Michael and I found a way to bring in some more money.  The crazy thing is, the lady that posted the childcare job posted one of the times wrong.  The actual hours of one of the shifts overlapped with my MOPS time.  I am not working those hours, and they were fine with it.  But had she posted the right day, I probably wouldn't have even applied.  See God at work there too?  Plus, all the craziness that lead me to Kroger the night before their job fair?  Yeah, that's a little bit more than a coincidence in my book.

It was just the miracle we needed and at just the right time.  Michael and I both feel a huge weight lifted off of our shoulders.  We feel a peace about both of the job situations.  We are excited to get things rolling and to be able to sit down and work out a budget.

God is good.

3 comments: