Sunday, January 27, 2013

Felt Snowman

Although I had every intention of doing a winter sensory box, it just didn't happen.  (A Valentine's one is in the works though.)  So I was trying to come up with a wintery type of activity that didn't involve crayons or paint.  We do enough of that.

Olivia loves stickers and using magnets, so that got my mind thinking to using felt.  I still have this homemade felt board floating around, and lots of extra felt so I thought this would be a good route to take.  As far as winter goes, Olivia is loving snowmen.  She learned about them in a book and now points them out everywhere.  In fact, she spent much of Friday's Little Gym class talking about a snowman on a fellow classmate's sweater.  A felt "build a snowman" activity sounded brilliant to me!  Some of what I made was just basic cutting.  For others, I sort of used templates I found.  I had to improvise on those too.

Note: We sat down to do this activity and I grabbed my camera.  Unfortunately the battery was dead, so you all get to deal with crappy cell phone pics.  Sorry!

I started out by building a snowman for Olivia to see.

She promptly disassembled my snowman

She was most interested in the little dots that I cut out for buttons and she kept talking about the purple one (saying "purple" over and over).

I decided to try again and I built the 3 snowman parts and asked her if she wanted to give her snowman a hat.  She picked up the top circle and put it on her head for a hat.  Clearly this was not going as planned. :)

I showed her how to "build" it one more time and then let her take it apart and play how she wanted.
She was still learning and having fun... just not quite the way I imagined it would go.

This is after she tried to lick some of the small circles and she realized felt wasn't so yummy.
Ha ha!

 I'm sure there are many more felt projects in our future.  I already have one in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment