Saturday, July 3, 2010

A little red, white, and blue fun

We are going to a bonfire with friends and were told to bring some food to share.  I am bringing a couple of "cookout" type things, but I wanted something to be a little patriotic.  There are TONS of red, white and blue food creations floating around out there on the internet.  I saw this idea a few places, so I'm not sure who the originator is.  It looked fun and easy, so I figured "What the heck, I'll give it a try."

 Here's what I used
Strawberries, white chocolate, and blue sprinkles

First, I washed the strawberries.  I wasn't sure how far my supplies were going to go, so I just washed a few to begin with.  I ended up having to wash more.

Then I put the bag of chocolate chips in a measuring cup, poured just a tad bit of vegetable oil in them, and started melting them in the microwave.  

You have to be careful not to burn chocolate when melting it.  I did one minute to start, stirred some, and did about twenty more seconds.  It was perfect.

Then I put some blue sprinkles in a measuring cup.  My idea was to put it in something small to help contain them since I didn't have a huge bottle.  Unfortunately, this wasn't the best idea when it came to the big strawberries.  Oh well...live and learn!

So first dip the strawberries into the chocolate, leaving a little red at the top.

Then let the excess chocolate drip off.  
(If you don't, it will lump up when put in the sparkles.  Trust me on this one!)

Then dip the tip in the blue sprinkles

And you have fabulous red, white, and blue strawberries!!
Pretty darn cute huh?  I'll let you know how the crowd liked them....

2 comments: