Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jello Poke Cake

I'm not really a cake person, but there is a cake I just can't resist.  It's called Jello Poke Cake.  I had never heard of it, or tasted it until college.  Rarely did I take desserts from the dessert buffet.  I'm not a huge sweets person and most of the desserts involved chocolate.  No thanks.  There were 3 desserts that I would get from the beloved caf--jello poke cake, lemon bars, and pumpkin bars.  Yum.

Not so long ago I was on a site looking at recipe reviews and came across my beloved cake.  I had no idea it was so basic and easy!

Here's what you'll need.
 The recipe actually calls for plain white cake, but I like to use the french vanilla one.  It's white and adds extra flavor.  Also, the recipe said not to use sugar free jello.  I have no idea why.  I can't imagine it would change things all that much, but I'm too chicken to try! :)

 Make the cake as instructed on the box.

Let the cake cool completely

Then poke holes in it.  I use a serving "fork" so that the holes are big and spread out.

  Make the jello as directed.

Then pour into holes.

Make sure to cover every hole.  You will have plenty of jello.

The entire cake will be pink

Including the bottom and sides

Let cool for a bit (an hour or two) and "frost" with cool whip

and serve!  SO GOOD!
This is a good cake to make with the kiddos as well.  I've made this with Little Man before.  Besides just the fun of cracking eggs, pouring liquids and mixing the batter, he really liked poking holes in the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment