Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Stop the presses!! Almond milk yogurt!?!?!

You've heard me lament on here before about how I am bummed out that Olivia can't have yogurt.  There are a few reasons for this. First is simply that it can be a fast and easy protein.  Second is that the probiotics in it are so good for kiddos.  I once heard a pediatrician say, "A yogurt a day keeps the pediatrician away".  Lastly is just the simple fact that most kids just love yogurt.

Well guess what?!?!

.....

There is almond milk yogurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Who knew?!
(Well, probably healthy food store shopping freaks, but still....)

I was browsing a post on the internet related to MSPI and a mom was asking "when are you going to give yogurt?".  One of the responses was that they had tried it and it was ugly, so from now on they are sticking with almond yogurt.  I'm not going to lie, I seriously almost jumped out of my seat!  I exclaimed the good news to Michael and then immediately went to google to see what I could find.

It was sold in two stores near us. Good.
It has 6 live active cultures. Good.
It does not contain soy. Good. 
(Someone told me some almond products contain soy, so now I have to check.)
It doesn't have as much protein as regular yogurt, but it still had a decent amount for Olivia. Good.

I knew that all yogurt has sugars, but I was a little worried that the sugar content was high.  Then I went and looked up the yogurt that I would be giving Olivia had she not had these issues and it was almost double, so I felt better.

While at the healthy food store picking up this delight, I saw that they also sell coconut milk yogurt.  It had less protein, more sugar and was more expensive, so I think we'll stick with the almonds.  Hopefully we won't have any sort of nut allergy!!

It's sort of expensive ($1.50 for a 6 oz container and she eats about a 3 oz serving), so she won't be getting it every day, but I am thrilled to have this option for her.  She seems to like it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment