Saturday, June 23, 2012

Happy Birthday, Olivia!

Over the past year I've been collecting ideas for birthday traditions to do with Olivia.  One thing I've always known I was going to do is write her a letter each year.  I've been trying to sit down and write this letter for a week now.  It just makes me so emotional to think about.  I didn't think I'd be "that" mom.  I love the little person she is, but thinking about a year gone brings tears to my eyes and a slight nervousness to my heart.


Dear Olivia,

Happy Birthday sweet baby girl!  We made it a year!  Can you believe it?  Wow, what a year it's been.  We've made it through severe jaundice, a misdiagnosis of reflux, soy and dairy issues, formula rejection, and a serious case of stranger danger.  We've had a lot of good times too!  We've snuggled, played, traveled, sang together, laughed and experienced all sorts of firsts.


A year ago today you gave me the best gift anyone could give.  You made me a mommy.  I have loved every single moment.  I am so proud to be your mom.  You are a fun, sweet, adorable, hilarious, and curious little girl.  You have brought more joy to our lives that we could have ever even imagined.


I love experiencing life through your eyes.  I could just sit and watch you all day.  I love the way you inspect things, turn them over in your hand and learn about new things.  I love that you love books.  Watching you sit and flip the pages over and over brings the teacher in me great satisfaction.

 
Even though at times it can drive me crazy, I love that you are opinionated, spirited, strong-willed and determined.  Daddy and I are going to do our best to nurture and guide you, so that those qualities can be used for good.  Don't listen when people tell you otherwise.


I love your laugh, your silly faces, and your sweet voice.  You've started "talking" quite a bit and it always brings a smile to my face.  Having conversations with you is one of my favorite things to do.  I look forward to many more years of conversing together.


Even though you have learned a lot this past year, you have been a great teacher as well.  You have taught us to love unconditionally. You have taught us to be patient during the trying times, and to laugh relentlessly during the silly times.  You have taught us humility and that life will never be perfect.  It's just life. 




 You are amazing.  It has been so much fun watching you grow, and I know it's just going to keep getting more exciting as time goes on.  I can't wait to keep experience life and all of the fun adventures with you.  You are my favorite little girl ever.  I hope you always feel loved, heard, and respected.  I love you with all my heart.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Aawww . . . That is the sweetest letter! You are such an amazing mom & Olivia is truly blessed to have you & Michael as parents! :-)

    Happy Birthday, lil china doll!

    Love you all!
    Ang

    ReplyDelete