Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Flashback--Friendship

13 years ago I traveled across a few states to start the grand adventure known as college.  I didn't know what to expect, but I was pretty sure of two things: 1) I was going to get a degree in Elementary Education and 2) I was going to make some new friends.  I had no idea how amazing those friends would be!  Going to Evangel University was one of the best decisions I have made.  Even though I am still paying for it to this day, I wouldn't change a thing.  I loved my time there.  One thing that made my time there so great was my roommate Amanda.

We didn't live together at first.  We did, however, live on the same floor.  For whatever reason, we didn't even like each other at first.  Then through a weird turn of events we bonded over getting our cartilage pierced at the mall.  We both had CUH-razy roommates.  That also bonded us.  Moving mid year was rare, but when her roommate moved out at the end of the semester, we jumped at the chance for me to move in with her.  We spent the next three and a half years as besties and roommates.

It's odd how well we get along.  We are sooooo different.

She...is a brunnette
I...am a blonde (yes, naturally)

She...admittedly crushed on geeky guys
I...thought they were geeks

 
She...says "wooder"
I... say water


 She...came to college never having had a job
I...started working at age 13

She...is a city girl--and will call out anyone who says they live in Philadelphia, but really grew up in the fancy pants suburbs
I...(while growing up in the city limits) am a suburbs type

She...is a fan of art
I...don't get it

 We grew up very differently.  Not that one was right and one was wrong--just different.

She...salts her food before even trying it
I...never salt food.  Never.

She...knows everything there is to know about pop culture, movies, music, current slang
I...am clueless

She...is passionate about social work and helping the homeless.
I...could never

I...am passionate about teaching and working with kids
She...could never

We have a very different sense of humor.

She...is unbelievably generous.  She gets it from her parents.
I... am not so much. :(  I'll leave it at that.

Her accent is east coast.  My accent is midwest.  When we get together, I start talking like her and she starts talking like me and it turns into our own Beth-anda accent.

She...is a democrat.
I...am a republican.
(We have a rule not to discuss politics!:)

She...went to a college class once wearing: boxers with red and orange tomatoes on them, a men's navy blue plaid shirt over a t-shirt, and brown fuzzy socks with white "shell tops".
I...wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit, or any other that didn't match! :)
(This is how she picked me up at the airport when I went to visit.  Yep.  Even with her pajama pants peeking out the bottom.)

 
She...grew up taking public transportation any and everywhere, including school.
I...wasn't allowed to take public transportation.

She...is a rule breaker.
I...am a fierce follower of the rules.

But even with all our differences, we remain the best of friends.  We use to say we were "two bodies, one mind".  We can go forever and not talk and then call and pick up right where we left off.  We get along so well because we have the same basic values.  We are loyal to the core.  We appreciate social etiquette and are baffled by those who do not follow it.  We can agree to disagree and appreciate our differences.  We will always have each other's back.  We are best friends.

She's coming to visit next week and I can't wait.  I love you Amanda!

1 comment: