Friday, October 7, 2011

A Day in the Life...

Once again I am jumping on a blog bandwagon.  I have seen lots of posts about "A day in our life".  Some bloggers even did it for a whole week.  My life isn't quite that exciting.  Don't worry--I'm not even fooled to think you really care what one day is like, much less a week.  However, this is my blog and I am sort of using it as a journal to record things now that Olivia is here.  I thought it may be fun to look back on at some point.  I'll probably do it again in a few months and see how things compare.

Since Olivia still wakes up for a middle of the night feeding, I decided that my "day" would start at midnight and go to the following midnight.

THURSDAY
12:30 AM-Olivia woke up.  She was not hungry.  I decided that I might want to try to stop swaddling, so I put her to bed in a sleep sack.  I was prepared that it might be rough.  Thankfully, I just had to put her paci back in a couple of times and we were both back to sleep within ten minutes.

2:30 AM- She woke to eat.  I also changed her diaper.  This is a little earlier than she usually wakes up.


5:00 AM- She woke up again.  This is not really normal.  She usually only wakes up for one middle of the night feeding.  I got up to give her her paci.  I moved her a little and realized that her diaper had leaked all over.  I changed her diaper, her pajamas, and since the sleep sack was wet, I just swaddled her in the miracle blanket.


7:00 AM- We all got up.  I had to get up for work.  I just threw on some sweats, combed my hair, and brushed my teeth.  Michael got a bottle ready for Olivia.  She woke up.  I checked her diaper, but she was still dry.  Michael fed her.


7:20 AM- I left for work.  I leave Olivia at home in the mornings.  I took her with me for the first two and a half months, but now she does better with Michael.  I felt bad that she was in and out of her car seat like 5 or 6 times a day--being carted all over the place.  People would say that's the curse of the second or third child.  Only, she's not a second or third child--she's my first, and I didn't think it was fair for her to suffer because of my job.  So as long as I can, I'm going to leave her home with Michael.  I'm not exactly sure what her and Michael do, but it usually involves the bouncer, hanging on the couch, and sleeping.


7:30 AM- I arrived at work.  I made Little Man's breakfast, made my own breakfast (I take my oatmeal with me and eat it there), ate, unloaded the dishwasher, reloaded it, and made Little Man's lunch.  He was still eating, so I checked my email real quick.  He got dressed and we were on our way.


8:30 AM- I dropped Little Man off at school and was back at home by 8:35.  


I snuggled with her on the chair and we did some baby talk.
 Then it was time to get dressed for the day.  Like I said before, she enjoys her changing table.  She likes to look at the birdie on the wall and her little stuffed bird that I've named "Tweet Tweet".
 9:15 AM- It was play time!  We played on the play mat, sang songs, "talked", read books, sat in the bumbo, did tummy time, and played with toys.

10:00 AM- Nap time!  I hopped in the shower.  I actually use to shower before work, but these days it's rare.  Sleep usually wins out.  Plus, my plan was to go to work dirty, come home and work out, and then shower.  That's yet to have happened. Hopefully soon!  I also paid a few bills.
10:45 AM- She woke up.  We tried to go in and get her to go back to sleep, but no such luck. 

11:00 AM- I fed her.  I tried to snuggle her after, but she wasn't having it.

11:15 AM- I put her in the swing.  While she was in the swing, I: ate a snack, did my hair, did some emails related to exchanging formula checks, checked facebook, and did my "quiet time".

12:00 PM- She started to get fussy, so I get her out of the swing.  I just held her and talked to her.  She got a little sleepy and eventually fell back to sleep.
I put her back in her bed around 12:10.  I was expecting her to wake up in 45 minutes, but she actually slept until 1:20!  While she slept, Michael and I watched some of our shows on the DVR and I messed around on the computer.  I also ate some lunch.

Since she slept "so long" I didn't even try to put her back to sleep.  Apparently she was still tired.  She was fussy and eventually fell back to sleep in my arms and slept until 1:50ish.

She ate again.  Then after changing her diaper, I had her lay in her crib for a few minutes.  I have a few toys in there and I'm trying to introduce the crib as a fun and safe place so that when we move her into her room she transitions easily.  While she laid in there, I got the diaper bag ready to go.

2:35 PM- Olivia and I left to pick up Little Man from school.

2:45 PM- We got Little Man and headed home.  He had a snack and was down for his nap by 3:00.  While he snacked and talked to Olivia, I took care of his lunch dishes and got our workbook stuff out for after nap.

He naps every day from 3:00 to 4:00.  While he napped, Olivia and I had another play time.  First, we walked around the house talking.  I pointed out colorful things, we looked in mirrors, and I explained things to her. :) At 3:15 we laid on the floor and read books, sang songs, and played with toys.
 She started fussing at about 3:45, so then we just laid and watched the ceiling fan (one of her favorite things to do).  She fell asleep at 3:55.  5 minutes before it was time to get Little Man up.  I need to coordinate that better!  I could have used a nap myself.

4:00-5:00 PM Little Man and I did workbooks, worked on his reading, and did flashcards.  Olivia slept until 4:20, then snuggled with me for a little bit, and then sat in the bouncer on the counter where we work.  (That's what she normally does during this time).

5:05- We left for Tae Kwan Do.  Class goes from 5:15 to 5:45.  I fed Olivia and she just sat and took everything in.  We "talked" and played with a rattle for a little bit.

We got back to Little Man's house around 6 and he got free time to play.  Olivia started getting cranky.  If it weren't for my work schedule, I would have her bathed and ready for bed at this time.  I think that if it were up to her, she'd be in bed by 6:30 every night.  Unfortunately, Mama has to work, so that is not possible.  She fell asleep at 6:10.  I am suppose to get off of work at 6:30, but that didn't happen.  My boss got home at 6:55 with no explanation.  It's just a reminder that I am not a stay at home mom.  I am a working mom.  While my job does have its perks, it's still a job.  There are still frustrations, obstacles and schedules I have to work around.  *sigh*  Maybe one day...

7:05- We finally got home.  I immediately put olive oil in Olivia's hair.  She has had cradle cap for about a month and a half now.  It is suppose to go away on it's own, so I was leaving it alone.  However, it doesn't seem to be going away and I think it's gross.  I read about using olive oil, so I thought I'd try it out.  I combed it out and we she just played and talked on her changing table while daddy got things ready for bath.

7:15- Michael gave Olivia a bath.  This is where I'm suppose to get a break, right? Nope.  I had to wash the olive oil out of the comb, I put her dirty clothes in the wash, picked up a few things, and poured myself a bowl of cereal.  I did have plans to cook dinner, but when I got home so late--it just wasn't happening.

Olivia had a hard time towards the end of the bath.  Probably because she was over tired.  I didn't even get to eat my cereal.  I had to get her in her jammies and rock her to calm her down.  She fell asleep around 8, but I wanted her to eat.  I knew if she didn't, that she would be super hungry later (possibly causing for two middle of the night feedings).  I tried dream feeding, but she woke up.  She was up for a little bit, but went to bed at 8:30 PM.

8:30-10:30- I watched recorded TV shows, uploaded pictures to my computer, messed around online, and wrote this blog.  (It takes MUCH longer than you would expect.  Especially when using lots of pictures.)

10:30- Couples devotions with Michael.

In bed around 10:50.  Only to wake up in a few hours and do it all again...  Are you tired?  I'm tired just remembering it all.  Thank goodness it's Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment