Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Crafts

While roaming the aisles of Hobby Lobby a few months ago, I decided to pick up a few simple and easy Easter crafts.  I've noticed that places like Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and Michael's are good for pre-packaged art projects.  However, you have to be on top of your game!  You can't go in the week of a holiday and expect to find something.  After many failed attempts, I think I've finally learned my lesson! :)

I like Hobby Lobby.  There stuff is always on sale, and since they are a Christian company, there are always religious choices for the religious holidays.  Unfortunately, sometimes the cutest stuff comes in packs of 10.  That doesn't help me much.

I picked these up

Little Man loves Easter.  He thinks little chicks are "so cute", so I got the sun catcher.  It wasn't quite as easy as I was thinking.
You had to use a little tool to spread the paint.  It was very difficult and Little Man was not impressed.  I'm glad I only bought one... there were butterflies and eggs and other such fun and I thought of getting multiple ones.  This was somewhat of a fail.  Here's the best we could do:

I don't mind egg hunts, baskets, cute little bunnies and chicks, but I wanted to make sure there was a balance with what Easter is really about.  I didn't think Little Man really knew, so I thought using an art project would help.  As we were starting the project I asked him what Easter was about and he said "Uh... the Easter bunny?"  I said, "No, it's about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins".  He knows about God and Jesus, so this actually interested him.
As he colored, I started explaining what each piece was that he was coloring.  He really was into it.  He was asking questions and putting it all together.  Technically he's Catholic, but I didn't figure I'd get in trouble. :)

(Sorry, I didn't realize the picture was blurry!)
After he was done coloring it all, we went through the story again.  If nothing else, he's at least heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment