Tuesday, March 29, 2016

"I'm an artist, after all"

Saturday morning was the first day to register for our local VBS.  So while I was thinking of summer, I started researching classes and mini camps.  Olivia has been begging to take some type of art class. ANY type of art class.  She always says, "I'm an artist, after all.  What am I suppose to do?"  Ha ha!

So after looking at some options, I got inspired to let her be a little artist in our kitchen.
I brought in our easel, and I had an extra canvas for her to use.

I put some paint on a paper plate and explained how artists used a palette.

and, of course, what one does the other must do...

If you've read for any length of time, then you know she is all about primary colors and secondary colors.  She knows if you mix red and blue you get purple.  Or if you mix red and yellow you get orange.  But some of the more odd mixtures throws her off.  So I told her the only way to know would be to actually mix paints.

They were so cute.  Olivia would come over and look at Logan's painting and tell him how good it was, and that he was a little artist too.  Then later, after Logan got down, he went over and looked at hers and said, "Wow! Good job!".  My little encouragers! They melted my heart.  They are getting closer and closer as Logan grows, and it is so fun to watch.

I think parents are doing a disservice by telling their kids they can do anything or be anything.  Then enrolling them in every little thing possible.  We don't want our kids to think that they can be good at everything (hello, participation trophies).  They can't be good at everything.  BUT, they can be great at something!  And if art is her something, then I am going encourage and help her grow that to the best of my ability.

My little artists

The finished product

She sat down to admire her work. Ha!  And then promptly told me to take a picture and send it to Boppa.  Her biggest cheerleader! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment