Saturday, April 20, 2013

Train Stacker

About a month or two ago my mother-in-law offered to buy Olivia a few more age appropriate toys.  This was in response to a conversation about how quickly she is picking things up and how I am frantically trying to keep up with her love of knowledge and impressive memory.

I spent a night researching online some educational toy ideas.  Then I took my list and went to Amazon looking for what would best suit our needs.  I joked with Michael that I wish there was a "library for educational toys".  It seems like we just need things for two week around here (or less) and it is mastered.

One of the things I was wanting is a geometric type sorter.  I was either coming across things that were too easy and she already knew how to do, or I was finding things that I thought would be a little too hard for her current age.  That's when I decided to go with the Melissa and Doug Train Stacker.  Trains aren't just for boys!! :)  Olivia loved it right away.

(source)
I'm sure you have all already caught on by now, but I love toys that can be both fun and educational.
The suggested age for this toy is 2 years to 6 years.  I'm not sure if she'll play with it for that long, but I plan on getting years of use out of it.

Her favorite thing to do is to just take the pieces off.  She's pretty good about putting them back on correctly.  Some pieces, like the front of the train, have to be put on just right in order to work--so that gives her a little bit of a challenge and makes her think.

I think this part is kind of funny--the pieces on the back of the train came with the colors mismatched, so that is how I always put it together.  When Olivia plays with it she always takes the tops off and then replaces them with the coordinating color.  I guess she wants things to match. :)

All matched up

Taking the pieces off...

And then putting them back on...
It's a great toy for practicing motor skills, problem solving, and using your imagination!

Choo choo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment