Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sandpaper Flashcards

Sandpaper flashcards have been around for a long time.  I know that my mom use to use them in her special ed classes years and years ago.  These days they seem to be known as a "Montessori" activity.  I have no idea what their origins are, but I decided to make some for Olivia.

You can buy them--for about $30.  Or, you can just be resourceful and make them yourself.  I found sandpaper at the dollar and we were in business!

Until I realized that I recently got rid of all of my letter patterns.  Don't you hate it when you hold on to things forever and ever for that "just in case" and then when that time comes you don't have it?!  I remember thinking "no one uses these anymore... between Ellison machines and personal paper cutters". UGH!
I was trying to do this on the cheap, so instead of paying $5 for a set of letters to trace, I had Laurie bring me some of hers.

It probably would have been better to use more square type letters, but it doesn't matter too much.  Like most things with Olivia, I'm a little late to the game.  She already knows all of the letter names and most of the sounds.  Either way, this will be great for reinforcement.  I also made numbers since she's not great with those yet.

I showed her how to trace the letters.
(Sort of hard to do while taking pictures)

We made it through about 10 cards and then she just wanted to talk about the names and sounds.

So that's what we did..... I finally got it on video after trying for 3 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment