Sunday, December 19, 2010

Nativity gift

It is my humble opinion that you cannot have too many nativities at Christmas time.  After all, it's the reason for the season, right?  So this year when it came to making K & G a Christmas gift from Little Man, that is exactly what we did.  I have so much going on right now, that crafting is literally the last thing on my mind.  I feel so uninspired.  My friend Laurie and I went walking the aisle of Hobby Lobby to look for ideas and came across a cute nativity that you paint yourself.  We loved it.  I think it's one of those things that moms and dads (or grandparents) could set up for many Christmases to come.

I forgot to take a picture before I took it out of the plastic, but this is basically all that was on it anyway.
It's a 12 piece set, and we purchased it for 50% off.

I was sort of dreading the painting process.  I felt like it might take days and Little Man would tire of it.  I was wrong!  He LOVED it, and went to town painting it.  We knocked it out in about an hour and a half.

It came with the stable

and 11 little pieces

We started with the stable, because I thought it was going to take us a while.  It really didn't take us too long at all.  Little Man was sooo into it!

Then we moved on to the people and animals 
(He just had to do the animals first... then baby Jesus!)
I did do the faces... mostly just to save time, but also because they were sort of small.  I also did some of the beards.  (Although, I missed Joseph and he now has a blue beard!)

The finished product!
I did fill in some spots here and there, but for the most part I left it.  It's not as detailed or colorful as some others might do, but it's very Little Man and that's the point.

The angel

The shepherd (with one green eye!), the sheep and the donkey

Mary, blue-bearded Joseph, and baby Jesus

One wiseman and a cow

The other two wisemen

Then, when it's time to store it, all the little pieces go inside!

I hope it's something they treasure for years to come!

1 comment: