Sunday, December 5, 2010

Melody Carlson books

I vaguely remember reading on a recommended list of authors that Melody Carlson was a good one.  So while meandering the aisle of the library a few weeks ago, I happen to stumble across some of her books (noted with the inspirational sticker).  I picked one up and thought it looked sort of up my alley. 

It was about a thirty something girl who felt stuck.  She had a broken heart and was mending it by watching house shows on HGTV  and eating pints of ice cream.  While I haven't been in that situation personally, I could totally relate to the character.  She seemed like me... or someone I'd be friends with.  She decides to flip a house to make some money and move out of her small apartment.  The book is about the journey it is to flip the house, deal with her dad and one of his construction worker friends that comes to the table with baggage.  This book was an easy read.  It was lighthearted and fun.  It wasn't terribly complicated writing or a plot.  I imagine if I ever wrote a book, it would turn out somewhat similar.  It's a sort of "write how you talk" kind of book, which is my style.

While looking for a picture of this book, I realized that I had listened to a Melody Carlson book on CD.  I didn't even realize I had read or listened to anything by her.  The book I listened to was
(There are two different covers to this book, so it may look a little different at your library.)
The main character is another 30 something girl who is trying to figure out life.  She has a good job and a boyfriend, but ubruptly loses both.  She moves back home to live with her mom and is faced with all sorts of challenges.  Her mom has turned into a health nut babe, while she is gaining weight rapidly.  She needs a job and a purpose.  It's pretty cute.  Here's a description I found online.  "This sassy and hilarious novel leads readers on a romp through the wilds of relationships, romance, career, and spirituality, revealing that, while God’s plans may look drastically different than our own, it’ll always be a perfect fit."

 While at the library, I also picked up another Melody Carlson book.
It's the first book in a series.  I actually read it in about a day and a half this weekend.  It's a totally different style than the other books.  Each chapter is from a different person's perspective.  It's about four girls that decide to live in a house together.  They are all out of college and trying to figure out what's next in life.  They each have their strengths, weaknesses and secrets that they bring to the table. Again, it was a fun easy read.  I was sick of watching TV and this was a great way to pass the time.  I'm looking forward to checking out the next book in the series.  This book sort of built up and introduced the characters, so I imagine the next book will have more of an in depth story to it.  I need some of these easy books to read sometimes.  It helps clear the mind. :)

1 comment:

  1. will have to check those out! I like easy lighthearted reads!

    ReplyDelete