Thursday, November 14, 2013

Doctor Update

Well, I heard back from the nurse about my blood work results from Monday.

*As we expected, I am definitely anemic.  I have to start taking iron supplements just as I did with Olivia's pregnancy.  No big surprise there, I guess.  The nurse said, "So if you've been feeling tired, there is a real (insert big nurse word that I can't remember because I was still half asleep) reason for it."  I thought to myself--Yeah, because I'm not sleeping!!  Oh well.  Maybe the iron will help.

*I failed my glucose test.  The cutoff for this doctor is 135.  (Each doctor is a little different.  It was 139 for me in Texas.)  My number was 169.  Of course, she reassured me that it doesn't necessarily mean that I have gestational diabetes.  "It's just a screening" and now I have to do the 3 hour test to see.

*I've been asked multiple times now what that means, so for those of you who don't know--I have to fast starting at midnight the night before.  That includes no drinking, chewing gum, etc.  Then I go in first thing in the morning and they take my blood.  After getting my "fasting" numbers, I have to drink some of the special juice.  It's similar to the stuff you drink for the 1 hour test, but more concentrated.  Then I have to have my blood drawn every hour for 3 hours.  Depending on what my numbers are based on those drawings will determine if I have GD or not.

They don't let you wait too long to take the test, because if you DO have it then they want to get the ball rolling in the right direction.  So... I am actually sitting at the doctor's office as you read this. (This was typed ahead of time.)  I'm not sure if I will know my results immediately or if they will be sent to a lab, but I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment