Thursday, March 21, 2013

Magnet School

I picked up this Magnet School set at the local consignment sale for $6.  I have ziplock bags full of magnetic letters, but I liked that these were big and chunky and came with cards.  It's just another cheap way to reinforce letters, letter sounds, and beginning reading skills.

 We have played with this a couple of times already.  Olivia really just likes to play with the magnets and talk about the letters.

Look at her tracing the letter B--makes this teacher Mama proud. :)

The back of the box is magnetic and looks like a writing paper.
This particular time, I put a few letters back there to choose from and then showed her a card.  The whole alphabet can be overwhelming at this point.  She did really well picking out the correct letter to use.

Then she would match it up to the card and we would talk about the letter name, the letter sound and the word it was spelling.

I'm still trying to figure out how many letter names she actually knows.  I know she knows some of them, but if I try to "quiz" her to count then she always ends up just telling me an animal that starts with that letter.  Smart, but not helpful.


 We usually make it thru a few letters and then she is ready to just play with them on her own, or she's just done all together.  At this point I want to make learning fun and enjoyable for her.  So when she's done--we're done.

The "S" card has a sun on it, so she likes to find it and sing "Mr. Sun". :)

I think we'll get $6 worth of use out of these. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment