Thursday, March 14, 2013

Felt Mittens Revisited

Olivia is learning at a rapid pace and I am doing what I can to keep up. :)  She has an interest in learning and likes to talk about and review what she already knows.  I am currently working on compiling an idea list of activities we can work on.  But for now I decided to revisit an activity we did not so long ago.

Olivia saw the box and got so excited.  I couldn't sit down fast enough for her. She just kept saying, "Oooooh!"  We did the felt mitten match up at the end of January. (I blogged about it mid February).  At that point she had about two to three colors down consistently.  Since then she has picked up every color except yellow.  This is sort of funny to me, because it's one of the first color words she said.  But for whatever reason she hasn't mastered it.

Since she had all of the colors down and the game I made was technically a matching game, I wanted to see if she could actually get the concept.  I've talked about matching other things before and have even heard her say, "it matches".  I thought, if nothing else, it would be a good color review.

She pretty much knew what to do without me even having to show her.  I just put 4 mittens on the board and said "Find the matches".


Looking for the red

She decided she wanted to add orange the board first

Found the red!

Then we took them off and I mixed up the mittens with some of the other colors

Clapping for herself! :)

After she completed the second board of mittens, I took them off and pointed to the board.  I asked her what color it was.  She said, "Black".  Then she pointed out that her hair is brown. :)

We were cleaning up the mittens and she asked for the snowman.
This is a good example of her memory.  We have played with the felt snowman a total of ONE time and it was seven weeks ago!  Yet, somehow she remembered and wanted to play.
She was still more interested in destructing than constructing, but she enjoyed it.

She was telling me this was green.  I told her it was a scarf for the snowman.

Then she said, "Put it on" and tried to wrap it around her neck.
Then she said, "It's too small" and "Snowman's green scarf too small"

That was the end of our felt play.

No comments:

Post a Comment