Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Zookeeper

As much as I am not always great about updating this blog, it has turned out to be the best baby book one could ask for.  All of Olivia's doctor's appointments, growth stats, and most milestones are documented.  I have actually referenced my own blog often when others ask me "So when did Olivia...".  I am already so grateful for all of the information I have saved and the moments I have captured on here!  I know I am going to look back one day and be SO thankful.

So in keeping with that mindset, I want to document her newest words.  I already shared a video of her saying some of the animal names and sounds she knows.  Then last week when I picked her up from MOPS the teacher said that Olivia had spent the morning telling them about the animals and sounds she knew.  Then the teacher said, "ALL the animals!"  She couldn't believe how many Olivia knew and how well she could say most of them.  I just responded with, "Yes, she loves her animals".  But I'm not going to lie, it made me proud.  As a teacher I always swore that I wasn't going to be that mom that thought my kid was a genius when he/she was average.  And I still don't want to be that mom.  However, as a teacher I am freaking impressed with how fast she is picking some of this up.  Especially because mom's of other June babies are posting that their kids only say a handful of words.  Then others are quick to say, "Oh, that's normal.  They are only suppose to have 5 to 15 words now."  I stopped counting when she had 50 words at 15 months, but I would venture to guess that we are in the 80 to 100 range now.  Do I think she's a genius?  No.  But am I pleased with her skills?  Heck yes! :)

So on Wednesday after the teacher said something, I decided to count how many she actually knew.  I came up with 19, but then later remembered that I had forgotten octopus.  She's known that word for a while because of the little temperature guy swimming around in the tub with her. :)  So last Wednesday she knew 20 animals.  As of yesterday (one full week later), she knows 24. Um, that is impressive!

The funny thing is, she just picks these up on her own from us reading to her or playing with her.  It's not because I am trying to teach her.  I have been trying to "teach" her giraffe since OCTOBER when it was her Halloween costume.  Do you think she knows that one? Nope.  But she will remember other ones and we have no idea where she picked it up from or when it was last said to her.  I am often in awe.

As I said in the video post, some of the animals she knows by name.  Some she knows the sound they make, and some she knows both.  Most of the animals she knows by name are animals that don't necessarily make a "sound" to copy.

Knows by name
**elephant--she tries to make the sound, but isn't quite there yet.  It's hilarious though!
**hippo
**fish
**zebra
**octopus
**goat
**moose
**turtle

Knows the sound they make
**mouse-she says "squeak squeak"
**rooster-her cock-a-doodle-do is one of my favorites!!!
**donkey-hee haw (love this too!)
**lion-roar
**bird-tweet tweet
**horse-neigh
**sheep-baa
**pig-oink oink
**duck-quack quack
**frog-ribbit

Knows name and sound
**cat/meow
**dog/ruff ruff
**cow/moo
**alligator-she says "crunch crunch" because that's what her talking zoo says
**monkey/hoo hoo hoo, complete with under the armpit hand motions
**owl/whoooo whooooo

Not only are we impressed that she knows all of this at 17 months, but we are impressed that she can be shown an animal in various forms--ie cartoonish, real life, a blue cow, etc. and STILL recognize what it is.  Don't you know it would be just like God to give this non animal loving mommy a zoo keeper daughter! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment